Pizza Stone Question

Sully1546

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just need a little advice. Looking to do pizza on my 590. Recommendations on pizza stones or something else to cook it on. Any advice is appreciated.

this is what i use. it has holes all over the bottom to allow air to crisp the crust. it works well. i got mine at walmart locally. its called a t-fall air bake pizza pan. it makes 16in pizzas

Attachments

• CF016896-E446-4850-B296-C36F14E5D983.png
    CF016896-E446-4850-B296-C36F14E5D983.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 83CA6DE3-855D-4DB8-8133-EB74B0657C6B.jpeg
    83CA6DE3-855D-4DB8-8133-EB74B0657C6B.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 185
Maybe a little more elaborate than you were looking for but...

Green Mountain Grills has a pizza attachment for their Daniel Boone model that I was going to get when I still had that grill. It was one of the negatives for me whenever I decided to sell it and get a RT-590 in fact. What I have since discovered is that someone had one already and placed it in their RT-590 and, from what they said, it actually fits pretty well. They said something about bending the tabs a little bit if you wanted to have it more stable (I assume this makes sense once you have it in-place) but they said that other than that it fit quite well, surprisingly. That was good news for me so I plan to look into buying on sooner than later to see how it goes.

I don't have much more detail than that but you can probably do some searching for more details if that sounds like something you'd be interested in trying out for yourself as a potential solution to your needs.

Do you think that would be any different than a griddle? Trying to figure out what to buy and not to buy!
I love me some pizza!

If you're trying to 'oven cook' on the grill, any good pizza stone works fine. We tend to want to 'smoke' the pizza more, so we'll par-bake the crust on the stone in the oven, dress it however, then just throw it right on the grates.

1618278873868.png

I have used pizza stones on other grills, but when we got the RT-590, I decided to go rogue. I have started using plain old parchment paper, and nothing else. Now, I do cheat a little. (I do a par-bake for 5 minutes) I found a super simple pizza dough (I am not sure about the legalities of posting a link to another site, but if you Google "easy pizza dough recipe joy" it should be the first hit on Google) I do let it rise "until it doubles", but the recipe says this is optional.
  1. Pre-heat Req Tec to 450
  2. make the dough
  3. let it rise
  4. punch down, separate into 2 equal balls (if you are making 2 pizzas)
  5. cut 2 pieces of parchment paper (I usually get two 12 in squares)
  6. roll or shape on the parchment paper (I usually put a little flour on the parchment paper)
  7. put on the pre-heated grill (paper and all, directly on the grates)
  8. cook for 5 minutes
  9. remove, add sauce, cheese, and toppings (make sure any meats are already cooked!!!)
  10. replace on the grill (still on the paper), and cook until cheese is melted, and crust is golden on top (bottom has not burned for us, but maybe we have just been lucky)
  11. Remove, let rest/cool for a few minutes to allow for ease in cutting.
  12. Enjoy! (and it you are like me, burn the <<CORN>> out of your mouth because you couldn't wait!)
The parchment paper has scorched, and gotten very crumbly in places, but never caught fire. I am not saying this is the best for EVERYONE, but it works for us! (and I am trying to save room in the cabinets for "more essential" gadgets...I will let you know what they are when I find them!!)

I have used pizza stones on other grills, but when we got the RT-590, I decided to go rogue. I have started using plain old parchment paper, and nothing else. Now, I do cheat a little. (I do a par-bake for 5 minutes) I found a super simple pizza dough (I am not sure about the legalities of posting a link to another site, but if you Google "easy pizza dough recipe joy" it should be the first hit on Google) I do let it rise "until it doubles", but the recipe says this is optional.
  2. make the dough
  3. let it rise
  6. roll or shape on the parchment paper (I usually put a little flour on the parchment paper)
  8. cook for 5 minutes
  9. remove, add sauce, cheese, and toppings (make sure any meats are already cooked!!!)
  10. replace on the grill (still on the paper), and cook until cheese is melted, and crust is golden on top (bottom has not burned for us, but maybe we have just been lucky)
  12. Enjoy! (and it you are like me, burn the <<CORN>> out of your mouth because you couldn't wait!)
The parchment paper has scorched, and gotten very crumbly in places, but never caught fire. I am not saying this is the best for EVERYONE, but it works for us! (and I am trying to save room in the cabinets for "more essential" gadgets...I will let you know what they are when I find them!!)
And I just saw that wildblue said it better, and with fewer words, and even with pictures. I revoke my essay!

2. make the dough
  3. let it rise
  8. cook for 5 minutes

Stand by your essay! That's good stuff!

I might try parchment paper! Hey, if it works for cooking bacon..... it might make the time on the grill a little better. Hmmm.... that might make it easier to put the stone in the grill, par bake it there, move / top / put back in grill. You get a good crisp crust out of it and the paper doesn't catch? I might not do a full dinner like that, but maybe try an experiment one.....
Maybe even butcher paper?

Pizza dough is super easy. We have a good store brand here we buy if we're feeling lazy. But otherwise, it's basically flour, yeast, salt, and water.

We use Parchment Paper on the BGE at 600+. Burns and smokes but no fire or pizza damage.

"Most parchment paper is rated for use at temperatures no higher than 420 to 450 degrees. But it’s true—we occasionally recommend using this liner for bread and pizza baked as high as 500 degrees.

Phone calls to several manufacturers, including Regency and Reynolds, put any safety worries to rest: Using parchment at higher-than-recommended temperatures does not release noxious chemicals, and the paper will not burn. "

I just picked up a steel and will try it with the Green Mountain Grills pizza attachment for the Daniel Boone model mentioned above - I've used that a few times and like it. It fits fine on the 590.
We tried the steel in the indoor oven and the results are good, but 45-60 minute warm up time is a bit much.

What about a pizza steel, anyone use them ??
I have one from years ago and it works well. My biggest gripe with it is that it is heavy and I could never get it seasoned well enough to keep it from rusting. I keep it in the bottom of my oven now.

Parchment paper works very well to make it easy to move an uncooked pizza to your grill. Be careful to remove the paper as soon as the pizza is stiff enough to do so. If you wait too long, the paper will catch fire and ruin the pizza.

Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that using ceramic pizza stones incorrectly can be dangerous. I once heated an egg smoker with a pizza stone to nearly 700 degrees hoping to get pizza oven results. Nope, when I attempted to lay a refrigerator-temp pizza on the ceramic stone, it literally exploded with pieces of ceramic and raw pizza going everywhere.

These days, I use a cast iron pizza plate instead of a stone on the grill. The ceramic pizza stone has been re-purposed as a place slice the the freshly cooked pizzas .

I use the GMG pizza oven in the 700 and it works great. I did bend the tabs slightly to stabilize.

Attachments

• 09AF6A5C-0589-490D-A3AB-D90CCC7E730D.jpeg
    09AF6A5C-0589-490D-A3AB-D90CCC7E730D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
I use the GMG pizza oven in the 700 and it works great. I did bend the tabs slightly to stabilize.
Sweet! I'm getting ready to use mine for the first time. Did you have to remove the interior light?

Just some general tips I gained from years of being a pizza making enthusiast.

Generally, the higher the cooking temperature, the more tender the "crumb" (risen bread). The most tender is Neapolitan style, made with an extra fine grind of medium gluten content and cooked at 800-850F. NY style (soft, foldable) is cooked around 600F.

You can "fool" the dough into thinking it's cooking at higher temps by using a cast iron or steel plate instead of a stone. The steel transfers heat many times faster than the stone. This causes the dough to rise very quickly when the water in the dough turns to steam and forms more and larger holes, a phenomenon known as "oven spring". The thicker the plate the better it is able to transfer enough heat to cause the reaction, but a 1/4" will work. Most of the pizza nuts use 3/8 to 1/2" thick plates, but they get really heavy.

High gluten "bread" flour makes tougher crumb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back