Bull Pizza/ Pizza Stone Questions

edryer4356

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m still new to the 700 and trying all kinds of things. Our family loves pizzas but I don’t want to buy a separate pizza oven to mess around with. I’ve heard some have used the Green Mountain pizza box but wanted to know if cooking pizzas on a pizza stone would be just fine at 500deg. I’m looking at getting a Fibra-ment baking stone that is the surface of the grill grates with an inch clearance on each side so I can cook 2 pizzas at once so I don’t lose heat when I need to put another one in. Any thoughts or tricks you have learned on the 700 for pizzas? Thanks all!

Here’s the link for the pizza stone:
https://fibrament.com/shop

I have the 1250 and have tried using a pizza stone and just tried the GMG oven. The stone worked fine for us at 500. Our first time using it we tried the GMG at 500 and it was way too hot, probably around 1,000 degrees LOL. I think 375-400 works for the GMG pizza oven, but you definitely need an infrared thermometer for the pizza oven. I’m still in the learning process of using the pizza oven and honestly just using the stone worked just fine since its easier to use, more forgiving, costs less, and is easier to store. The top of the pizza doesn’t cook as well using a stone, but again, is way easier to use. This is just my experience though, I assume once I get past the learning curve of using the GMG oven I’ll like it.

Credit to the original poster (I don't remember), but they recommended the pizza screens. I bought a bunch of the screens and I've had really good success with them at 450. I still want to try a stone and have been eyeballing the GMG insert, but I have had very good results keeping things simple and cheap. I can build a half dozen pizzas on the screens and then just cycle them through the grill two or three at a time for about a 10 minute cook time.

We do pizzas on the 700 and have been very happy with them. I recently bought an OnlyFire pizza oven for my Bullseye (got it on a sale for $108) and it does slightly better than the 700 with pizza stones. As @Jarrow mentioned the top doesn’t cook as well and the pizzas don’t cook as fast but I think we got 85-90% as good on the 700 as we do in a the pizza oven on the Bullseye. To be fair I’m still learning the OnlyFire so I might have a different opinion after a few more cooks. The first picture is from the 700 on stones, the second is on the Bullseye with the OnlyFire.

18080BEB-B0B4-4A79-97FA-4F95D57F7939.jpeg
4B6533E8-BCE6-4560-9B20-FB90DE862C20.jpeg

Credit to the original poster (I don't remember), but they recommended the pizza screens. I bought a bunch of the screens and I've had really good success with them at 450. I still want to try a stone and have been eyeballing the GMG insert, but I have had very good results keeping things simple and cheap. I can build a half dozen pizzas on the screens and then just cycle them through the grill two or three at a time for about a 10 minute cook time.
Hey, @Pacman, can you post a link to the pizza screens you are using? I like the sound of simplicity.

Sure @Jim6820, here's what I use. Pizza Screens

Like I said, someone else here did an experiment with a stone, solid metal pans, and the screens. I figured for $7 a screen it was worth a try following their lead. My dough recipe makes roughly 6 250g doughballs which make 10 to 12 inch pizzas. I bought six so I can prep all of the pizzas while the grill is heating up.

IMPORTANT LESSON LEARNED... My first attempt I heated up my Recteq and months of low and slow cooks started burning off creating a ton of nasty smoke making my very first pizzas pretty bad (although I still ate them...no one else did). I now let the grill "burn" at temperature for a good 30 minutes before putting in the first batch of pizzas.

We do pizzas on the 700 and have been very happy with them. I recently bought an OnlyFire pizza oven for my Bullseye (got it on a sale for $108) and it does slightly better than the 700 with pizza stones. As @Jarrow mentioned the top doesn’t cook as well and the pizzas don’t cook as fast but I think we got 85-90% as good on the 700 as we do in a the pizza oven on the Bullseye. To be fair I’m still learning the OnlyFire so I might have a different opinion after a few more cooks. The first picture is from the 700 on stones, the second is on the Bullseye with the OnlyFire.

View attachment 17392View attachment 17391
When you do pizzas on the 700 how long do you cook them for in the stone? As long as the bottom is a little bit crispy is all I care about. I like the tops not super crispy. And does the pizza stone increase the temperature overall if I set my 700 to 500deg?

I’m not sure the stone increases the heat but It does crisp up the crust. I usually cook at 475 and they take between 10 and 12 minutes depending on how many toppings. I like a meaty cheesy pizza (12 min.) and the grandkids like cheese with a little pepperoni (10 min). 500 would work just fine, your times will likely be shorter.

I’m not sure the stone increases the heat but It does crisp up the crust. I usually cook at 475 and they take between 10 and 12 minutes depending on how many toppings. I like a meaty cheesy pizza (12 min.) and the grandkids like cheese with a little pepperoni (10 min). 500 would work just fine, your times will likely be shorter.
Awesome thanks!

I did 16 pizzas this weekend, it’s gonna be a while before I do that again. My large griddle worked great as my stone. 500* and spin it once or twice over about 8 minutes.
I started out the weekend with 2 stones, one cracked the first day so I went to the griddle. I don’t see the need for the attachment, even though I think it’s pretty cool.
I used grits and a wooden peel to slide them onto the grill. Worked fine so long as you don’t mind the added texture.

I just started doing pizzas on my 700 this summer myself. The very first time I put the dough directly on the grates, par-baked, added toppings then finished them. End result was so-so, since at the end of the day there’s no such thing as “bad” pizza. A couple of months ago I stumbled across a 14” pizza stone for $5 at Aldi - for that price if it sucked I wasn’t really out anything. I’ve made some pretty good pizzas on it. A few weeks ago I found a perforated pizza pan with detachable handle at the hardware store for about $15, so I’ve doubled my capacity. It also worked really well.

I cook mine at about 475 and have been happy with the results. I’m still experimenting with dough recipes that I find, but the girlfriend said the last batch I made was the best yet so I guess I’m on to something. My only other piece of advice would be to invest in a pizza pee if you haven’t already. It will make your life so much easier.

I love pizza night with the kids... i get my RT700 going and my Big Green Egg. Egg cooks faster as it is 600-700 degrees. Stone is a must as there is fire below that is hotter.

On the 700 i do stones or screens. The screens do actually make it crispier for us. The only problem with the screens versus the stone is the bottom can burn more quickly with hot spots on screens and also the bottoms cook faster than the tops can.

But as long as you keep your eye on it, you will be fine. I go with 500 degrees. I thought my family would like the Big Green Egg pizzas better. They dont. The 700 always wins. Not a ton of smoke (subtle actually) so i dont get a wood fire pizza taste i want. But still better than just throwing in oven.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back