Bull Pellet taste

wincraig

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Do Pellet flavors make much difference on cooking ? I've cooked once since getting my first pellet grill. I used the 3 blend recteq pellets that I got with my 700. My first cook came out great but was wondering how much different pellets would make,

Do Pellet flavors make much difference on cooking ? I've cooked once since getting my first pellet grill. I used the 3 blend recteq pellets that I got with my 700. My first cook came out great but was wondering how much different pellets would make,
I can't tell much difference, others can. Guess my taste buds are dead.

My experience is there is a bigger difference in the smoke smell than the smoke flavor, but I don’t have the most refined pallet. I’m sure if you did a pork rib cook with mesquite and one with a Cherry/apple mix then did a comparison you might pick up a difference.

I think most folks find a brand that is locally available then a variety they like and stick pretty much with that. I still try different varieties just in case but don’t really notice much of a difference in the final product. YMMV.

My experience is there is a bigger difference in the smoke smell than the smoke flavor, but I don’t have the most refined pallet. I’m sure if you did a pork rib cook with mesquite and one with a Cherry/apple mix then did a comparison you might pick up a difference.

I think most folks find a brand that is locally available then a variety they like and stick pretty much with that. I still try different varieties just in case but don’t really notice much of a difference in the final product. YMMV.
I would pretty much agree with this. You don't notice the difference pellets in taste as much as different (real) woods when smoking. But you definitely notice the smell difference between them.

I used 100% varieties(usually just hickory and cherry) when smoking and for my Bullseye, I just use competition blends/char-hickory.

I even have the smokedaddy magnum PIG cold smoker. I don't use it that often b/c it kind of takes away the point of a pellet grill and having the convenience. But it does make a difference when I use it. I like to make pecan smoked chicken and I can taste the pecan so it is kind of the best of both worlds yet still don't get that strong charcoal/wood taste from it like you would on an offset or something like that.

Between rub and sauce,hard to tell the difference, it all tastes good!
The more I experimented, the less I could tell the difference on pellets. I'm with you on rubs and sauces. My pellet options are now at two. 50/50 mix of Lumberjack single flavor bags of hickory and cherry for beef and pork. LJ pecan blend for poultry and fish. The smell of any of them works well with my patio chair and a bottle of 805.

If you only use blends, they're are going to be close. I prefer single wood flavors especially with Lumberjack pellets. As far as I'm concerned they are the best "overall buy" in price,taste,quality. But yes there's big differences. Try 100% Apple then try 100% mesquite see what ya think.
By the way... Alot of other brands or blends are around 40% oak as a base wood. Another reason I go with the 100% one wood Lumberjacks. My 2¢

Excellent points. Mixing their single flavor bags of hickory and cherry has worked well. The pecan bag is half oak. I have not used straight mequite.

I like Oak with beef, Pecan with pretty much anything, Hickory with Pork/chicken, etc.

BUT

I don't really change the pellets in the 700. I did all the time on my Traeger, but I had a hopper door that made it pretty easy. I am not vacuuming out a pellet hopper to change pellets. This is one area where RT failed.

I've experimented with blends, apple, cherry, oak, mesquite, and pecan, I can't tell one from another. When I used to add apple or oak to my charcoal smoker I couldn't tell one of those from the other either.

I have not noticed much difference between hickory, cherry, apple, pecan. But with mesquite, very distinct difference (that I did not really care for). Typically blend cherry and hickory for pork and fish.

Are all wood pellet brands the same size pellets, i.e. can they all work on a Recteq ?

I do not find much of a difference in pellet flavors. So I just standardized on LJ 100% Hickory

Are all wood pellet brands the same size pellets, i.e. can they all work on a Recteq ?
They are not all the same size. Of the 2 brands I can get easily around me, I've found Lumber jack thinner and Bear Mtn noticeably thicker and somewhat longer, I've had issues with either. I do tend to check the hopper now and then and push the pile towards the auger. No idea if I need to do it, I just do.

I’ve experimented a lot and decided just to stick with comp blends from Recteq and Lumberjack. If I want to add some mesquite flavor I’ll put it in the smoke tube. I always use a smoke tube anyway. What you may notice more than the flavor difference is the amount of ash produced from various brands. You can find many threads discussing ash.

My personal experience is with “cookin” pellets perfect mix and cherry. I don’t tast or smell much difference but I do notice the cherry seem to burn noticeably hotter and with less smoke. When I want to sear I load the cherry pellets.

How about these?
products_bbq_pellets.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back