Beef Pastrami Quick and Easy

Gotcha

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I looked at tons of recipes including recipes posted by some of the members here. I am a pretty detailed guy and I like document all my recipes so I can improve on them and also repeat them :)

Overall I am super happy with the results and the taste was spot on.

The only change I plan for the next smoke is to use one of the prime flats I have in the freezer and home cure the brisket.

Smoked Pastrami

Ingredients:
3-4 lb. corned beef brisket flat (store bought)
Yellow Mustard
1 16 oz. Guinness Beer
2 cups beef stock (low sodium)

Seasoning Mix:
4 T Black Pepper (16 mesh)
2 T Coriander powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 T brown sugar
1 T smoke paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion power

Remove the corned beef brisket from its packaging and discard the spice packet. Soak the corned beef in water for 6-8 hours changing the water every two hours.

Mix up seasoning mix in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap until needed.

Once the brisket is done soaking remove from water, rinse and pat dry. Apply yellow mustard to all sides of the brisket and then apply the seasoning mix (I used about 2 T). Place in a non-stick oblong cake pan and cover with foil (you can also use a disposable pan). Put the brisket in the refrigerator overnight, or until you are ready to smoke it.

Pre-heat smoker to 180 degrees
Place brisket in the smoker (fat side down) for 3 hours, remove and place in non-stick cake pan. Add the beer and the beef broth to the bottom of the pan (you want the liquid to be about one inch deep). Tightly cover the pan with foil making sure the foil does not touch the meat.

Pre-heat oven 325 degrees

Place brisket in oven for 2-3 hours, you are looking for an internal temperature should be 203℉ on an instant-read meat thermometer. It should be probe tender.

Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. Slice across the grain into 1/4-inch slices with a sharp knife and serve immediately.

Notes: This was 3.67 lbs. pre-packaged corned brisket flat from the grocery store. The pastrami reached 203 degrees in 2 hours. Since the pastrami was done early, I removed it from the pan and wrapped it in foil. I then placed it in cooler lined with towels for 90 minutes. The temp of the pastrami was 172 degrees, when I removed it from the cooler.

Enjoy Greg

bagged.jpg
ready for smoker.jpg
ready broth.jpg
ready to wrap.jpg
ready to slice.jpg
sliced.jpg
pastrami.jpg

Last night made Rubens, turned out great. We still have leftover pastrami so Rubens are in our future in a few days.
Greg

Attachments

• 1reuben.jpg
    1reuben.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 61
Last night made Rubens, turned out great. We still have leftover pastrami so Rubens are in our future in a few days.
Greg
Looks great! I did this one with the store corned beef and it turned out great. One thing you have to try with the leftovers is a pastrami omelet. Pastrami, swiss, and some mustard. I had a deli owner friend that used to make them for me but with the homemade pastrami, they're even better.

Looks great! I did this one with the store corned beef and it turned out great. One thing you have to try with the leftovers is a pastrami omelet. Pastrami, swiss, and some mustard. I had a deli owner friend that used to make them for me but with the homemade pastrami, they're even better.
Sounds good, I am also thinking about a pastrami egg mc muffin!
Greg

I looked at tons of recipes including recipes posted by some of the members here. I am a pretty detailed guy and I like document all my recipes so I can improve on them and also repeat them :)

Overall I am super happy with the results and the taste was spot on.

The only change I plan for the next smoke is to use one of the prime flats I have in the freezer and home cure the brisket.

Smoked Pastrami

Ingredients:
3-4 lb. corned beef brisket flat (store bought)
Yellow Mustard
1 16 oz. Guinness Beer
2 cups beef stock (low sodium)

Seasoning Mix:
4 T Black Pepper (16 mesh)
2 T Coriander powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 T brown sugar
1 T smoke paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion power

Remove the corned beef brisket from its packaging and discard the spice packet. Soak the corned beef in water for 6-8 hours changing the water every two hours.

Mix up seasoning mix in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap until needed.

Once the brisket is done soaking remove from water, rinse and pat dry. Apply yellow mustard to all sides of the brisket and then apply the seasoning mix (I used about 2 T). Place in a non-stick oblong cake pan and cover with foil (you can also use a disposable pan). Put the brisket in the refrigerator overnight, or until you are ready to smoke it.

Pre-heat smoker to 180 degrees
Place brisket in the smoker (fat side down) for 3 hours, remove and place in non-stick cake pan. Add the beer and the beef broth to the bottom of the pan (you want the liquid to be about one inch deep). Tightly cover the pan with foil making sure the foil does not touch the meat.

Pre-heat oven 325 degrees

Place brisket in oven for 2-3 hours, you are looking for an internal temperature should be 203℉ on an instant-read meat thermometer. It should be probe tender.

Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. Slice across the grain into 1/4-inch slices with a sharp knife and serve immediately.

Notes: This was 3.67 lbs. pre-packaged corned brisket flat from the grocery store. The pastrami reached 203 degrees in 2 hours. Since the pastrami was done early, I removed it from the pan and wrapped it in foil. I then placed it in cooler lined with towels for 90 minutes. The temp of the pastrami was 172 degrees, when I removed it from the cooler.

Enjoy Greg

View attachment 2929View attachment 2930View attachment 2931View attachment 2932View attachment 2933View attachment 2934View attachment 2935
Looks great. Love the detail in the recipe. Pics too. I did a pastrami old school today. Turned out great. A full 10 hrs to get to 203. Wrapped after the cook and will have tomorrow. Will steam for 1 hr first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPBrew
Back