Pastrami Challenge

Was yours a Snake River Farms Wagyu corned beef? I know some corned beef can be salty, but I have not experienced that with the SRF corned beef I’ve had, though I did not make them into pastrami. Just curious.
It was a shenson butchers cut corned beef from Costco. Im Thinking a few extra water changes may have made it better.
It wasn’t crazy salty but was a little more than i prefer. Still real good though

I just fixed the wife and I a hot pan toasted rye, pastrami, and pepper jack sandwich. It is really great, but still felt it was too salty.

Was yours a Snake River Farms Wagyu corned beef? I know some corned beef can be salty, but I have not experienced that with the SRF corned beef I’ve had, though I did not make them into pastrami. Just curious.
Jim, I'm thinking that when you make corned beef and veggies, the salt is extracted from the meat and dispersed through all the broth and veggies.

Jim, I'm thinking that when you make corned beef and veggies, the salt is extracted from the meat and dispersed through all the broth and veggies.
Interesting thought; you may be correct. If that’s the case, then an overnight soak with a couple of water changes should help.

Looks good and I do understand the "salty" side...
The best recipe I have found came from this book "The Artisan Jewish Deli at Home"
The other major thing is the salt you use.. Because all salt is not the same..Main difference is Grain size... For my personal cooking I use " Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt"
I would Never buy any store bought Pastrami or cord beef.... all way 2 salty... I know you made your own and others do buy the store junk... Always better to Make your own...
A big Remember is that all of that great Katz's Beef came out of a steamer for 4 or 5 hours... also they do not smoke there beef... and yes I think my Homemade pastrami/cord beef is great..So smoke adds ++++
And yes the Steamer adds TENDER_TENDER_TENDER...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back