Stampede Overheating?

Bowhntr

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello all, just received my stampede today. Put it together and put in some treager pellets. Set to 400 for burn in. Got app hooked up on phone, and it did not move off 400 for first hour. Impressive! For the second hour of burn in I put a grill mat with four bacon wrapped chicken breasts on grill to burn in / season the grill. Right away it bypassed 400 and app said it is to hot. Got 425 and was still climbing. I opened lid to cool it down but it kept climbing way above set point. Finally after about 5th time. It seems to be regulating very accurate again within 5 degrees. Question is this normal first time cooking something on it? I heard blower slow down when it got close to 400 but than it would crank up again and just kept temp climbing. Maybe it is good now.

Hello all, just received my stampede today. Put it together and put in some treager pellets. Set to 400 for burn in. Got app hooked up on phone, and it did not move off 400 for first hour. Impressive! For the second hour of burn in I put a grill mat with four bacon wrapped chicken breasts on grill to burn in / season the grill. Right away it bypassed 400 and app said it is to hot. Got 425 and was still climbing. I opened lid to cool it down but it kept climbing way above set point. Finally after about 5th time. It seems to be regulating very accurate again within 5 degrees. Question is this normal first time cooking something on it? I heard blower slow down when it got close to 400 but than it would crank up again and just kept temp climbing. Maybe it is good now.
I think the first time it went above was after you opened to put in the chicken. It was making up for the heat lost with opening. And opening again to let the heat out causes it to react the same. If you had left it closed after the meat was put in, it probably would have settled back to 400 in 5 or so minutes. Over all you should not have a change in the cook results if just left alone. A swing of 25* for several minutes is probably of no consequence when you consider that the internal heat loss while opened probably equals out with the compensatory overshoot. With the 590 and 700, once you have tested the actual temp at grate level and have adjusted the control if needed (usually not needed), you can set it forget it.

Now with the B380--different story. I don't trust the controls enough to set and forget and wide swings are inherent with that model. Fortunately if use for just Hot Cooks, like I do, there is no problem, I just get her hot and sear away. No wifi needed there. Some use it for low slow, but it takes some vigilance to do so.

I think the first time it went above was after you opened to put in the chicken. It was making up for the heat lost with opening. And opening again to let the heat out causes it to react the same. If you had left it closed after the meat was put in, it probably would have settled back to 400 in 5 or so minutes. Over all you should not have a change in the cook results if just left alone. A swing of 25* for several minutes is probably of no consequence when you consider that the internal heat loss while opened probably equals out with the compensatory overshoot. With the 590 and 700, once you have tested the actual temp at grate level and have adjusted the control if needed (usually not needed), you can set it forget it.

Now with the B380--different story. I don't trust the controls enough to set and forget and wide swings are inherent with that model. Fortunately if use for just Hot Cooks, like I do, there is no problem, I just get her hot and sear away. No wifi needed there. Some use it for low slow, but it takes some vigilance to do so.
Thanks Okie, I am sure you are right. Was thinking it was going to max out but I didn’t give it a chance to correct itself.

Hi..I had an overheat occurrence in my brand unused timberline 850. This can be my third Traeger flame broil, current have the 1,300 and 850. Never had genuine work issues but 850 is acting gravely. Overheated till 560 final night when set to 450. After overnight cool down and careful clean and vacuum presently won’t preheat legitimately. Typically my third endeavor at anomalous preheat. Sits slowed down at surrounding environment temp at that point abruptly races to 425-450 when set to 200. Appears to settle 100 degrees over set temp. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back