New 1070 overheating

NSKY

I have a new RT-1070. I have just finished my 3rd cook and so far everytime I cook the grill over heats by about 30 degrees then corrects itself by turning the fans on. This happens with or without food in the grill.

Is this normal?

RT-1070, recteq pellets
Edit: I'm not opening the grill and the auger is set to 3.0 on the app

My 590 is set to 1.0. I don’t know what to tell you but hopefully someone with more pellet grill experience can help you. Worse case is call Rec Tec. Good luck

I haven't tried lower temps yet. So far 350+ is what I have been doing. In the higher temps the overheating doesn't bother me too much, but is still annoying.

Fans? I believe there is only 1 for the fire pot that controls air. At 350 that fan should run constantly. Are you saying that the fan is cycling at 350? Usually that only happens at low. Are you sure the temp inside is right? Any chance the RTD is touching the sides?

Odd issue for not opening the lid. That is usually when thing like this happen. If you are using known good pellets and it keep happening call Recteq. That is a new model we really have not seen much of here so far but should operate similar to the 590.

Fans? I believe there is only 1 for the fire pot that controls air…
I expect there are 2 fans in there-the second one is a smaller fan that (I believe) runs all the time to cool the electronics. Here they are both visible on a deconstructed Bullseye.
64DD627E-BE7E-47E8-9121-B0FD241E5782.jpeg

I have a new RT-1070. I have just finished my 3rd cook and so far everytime I cook the grill over heats by about 30 degrees then corrects itself by turning the fans on. This happens with or without food in the grill.

Is this normal?

RT-1070, recteq pellets
Edit: I'm not opening the grill and the auger is set to 3.0 on the app
It’s not uncommon for these grills to initially run hotter when new, then settle in after a few cooks. And @sdynak is correct-the fan should run constantly when the grill is set to 350°. The fan’s function is not to cool the grill, the fan is blowing air into the fire pot to supply oxygen to the fire. Now if the grill is set to a low temp, say under 225°, then it is common for the fan to cycle on/off to reduce the amount of oxygen fed to the fire.

I expect there are 2 fans in there-the second one is a smaller fan that (I believe) runs all the time to cool the electronics. Here they are both visible on a deconstructed Bullseye.
View attachment 15910

Yes.. there is 1 on the auger motor but controlling the fire pot there is 1. The fan on the auger motor will only run with the auger as I understand.

I will check on my next cook to see if the fan is running constantly. I know when it is over heating it cycles. From your comments this makes since as it is trying to limit oxygen or air flow. I will also try and see if the inside temp reading matches another reading and the probes.

I seem to remember when wetting up the grill that the auger speed on the app was set to 1%, but I saw also in the app to not go below 3% so I raised it from 1 to 3. I might contact recteq to see what the default is for the 1070.

I smoked some brats last night. I set the temp to 200 and noticed the temps swing to 245 and then back down to 200. This kept happening until I set the temp to 'Lo' at which point the temp stayed within 10 degrees of 200.

I forgot to listen for the fan running.

Next I will listen for the fan and check the temp with an IR camera.

Starting up the 1070 again tonight. Set to 325 and it hit 360 before cooling off. So far it is overheating on every cook.

The fan does stay on all the time until it starts cooling.

Attachments

• PXL_20220512_000912120.jpg
    PXL_20220512_000912120.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
Starting up the 1070 again tonight. Set to 325 and it hit 360 before cooling off. So far it is overheating on every cook.

The fan does stay on all the time until it starts cooling.
Did it ever stabilize? Mine will spike a bit while coming up to temp, but then it settles down and locks in to within a couple degrees. If this is not the behavior you're getting, I would put a call into RT.

Sorry I was going to post, but was busy eating last night. Actually this time it did stabilize after the spike. In the past it has not, so this is a good sign. I will keep track next few grillings.

Sorry I was going to post, but was busy eating last night. Actually this time it did stabilize after the spike. In the past it has not, so this is a good sign. I will keep track next few grillings.
All pellet grills I have owned or seen overshoot the set temp initially, then settle down to the set temp from that point. Usually, this all happens in the 10-20 minutes after start up. After all, the controls first job is to get a good fire started, then when the temp is reached it takes a while to stabilize. My current 1070 goes over the set temp initially but drifts down and maintains the set temp. I never start a cook until the temp settles back down although I'm not sure that is nec. The fan is often intermittent during low/slow temps between 180 and 275. That is what makes it smoke more at those temps. Also, if you have a higher temp and you suddenly turn it down to any significant degree, the fan will also go into on/off mode temporarily as it cools. My advice is to allow 20 minutes after start up to reach and stabilize. At shutdown from temps over 500* (arbitrary on my part) I suggest lowering the temp to around 300* when you remove the cook, close the lid and leave it to cool down while you enjoy your dinner, and dessert. Let it get down to 300* then shut it down. You won't waste many pellets and should have a trouble free shutdown.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back