Beef Over The Top Chili

Buckeye1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
Busy cooking day on the RT's and cast iron equipment. Corned beef hash, corned beef jerky on the Trailblazer and OTT chili on the Bullseye.

A fairly basic chili recipe
2 lbs on 90/10 ground beef.
2 cans of beer
1 red bell pepper
3/4 onion
Garlic
Gibson's steak seasoning
Carroll Shelby chilli seasoning
2 cans of kidney beans drained
2 cans of diced tomatoes

Started out by cooking the peppers and onions in the cast iron dutch oven. Then added spices and garlic for a minute or so. Topped with beans, tomatoes, and 1 can of beer.
Seasoned the beef with the Gibson's steakhouse seasoning and shaped into 2 balls.

Put the dutch oven on the Bullseye at 225. Place a grate over the pot. Place the ground beef on the racks and fattened to make sure lid closed.

Smoked until the beef reached 145 IT. Pulled everything and put on the stove since it was pouring rain. Broke the beef up into the pot, and more beer and let simmer on stove for 2 hours.
Of course had to add some CI baked Dave's cornbread. We really like the texture of the beef chunks vs loose beef.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
Yeah, I've been putting beans in my various recipes for a long time. I even put peppers & carrots in at times. When the kids were younger, that was one of the only ways to get them to eat their veggies😳🤭🤭

Beans? In “chili?” OK, I’m kind of a purist when it comes to “chili,” though what you made looks really good. Might do in a pinch. ;)

I'm a bit that way too. No ground meat in my chili. But when I need to extend chili for a crowd, I sneak in some beans. :eek:

My wife likes beans in the chili. I have come to accept that I have limited voting rights.

I have not used ground beef in chili for many years. Ground turkey is leaner and tastes great. My classic recipe substitutes a can of sliced green chilis for the bell pepper and stewed tomatoes for one of the cans of diced tomatoes. Instead of beer, I use spicy V8 juice. I also add a little garlic.

Your seasonings are new to me. I will have to check those out.

Sigh...anyone who knows beans about chili knows chili has no beans, Carroll Shelby is turning over in his grave....But I jest, looks really tasty!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 5.43.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 5.43.15 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
@Bobrectec
I love the rules on the attachment😎
If had Carroll's money I could afford all beef at today's prices.

Seriously though all meat will be the next batch. I did like his spice mix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back