Off Day 2= Chuck Roast experiment

I got $.99 shoulders last week and $2.99 brisket this week. Grinder for sure - final form of it all still up in the air.

My local GS had chuck Roast buy one get one, so bought two 3.5lbs. I plan to cook low and slow either 225 or 250. I need them done around 4 or 5pm then will rest during sons HS football game. Should I cook overnight or early morning to get to approximately 200? Thanks

Thanks posted pics in another thread it turned out great. I rested it during my son’s HS football game that went long so would have pulled it at 190 vs 195 to rest but no complaints!

I must have done something wrong, tried a Chuck Roast last week, while it came out fine it certainly didn’t taste like brisket.

I must have done something wrong, tried a Chuck Roast last week, while it came out fine it certainly didn’t taste like brisket.
You did nothing wrong. Poor man's brisket is a terrible choice of words if you ask me. Why not just say I smoked a chuck roast and leave it at that. A beef chuck is probably the most versatile and flavorful cut on a beef carcass, but it tastes about as much like a brisket as a hot dog does a hamburger. I`m from Texas and I have yet to see or hear any of our great BBQ places put Poor Man`s brisket on the menu. I`ll let you know when they do. If you only want to spend 20 bucks to smoke something instead of the 100 for a good brisket, I get it, but it`s not a poor man`s brisket. It's a chuck roast. :LOL:

Well, I don’t know. Recently, I cooked a small (11#) packer brisket and a 4# chuck roast at the same time. Used the same rub and prep techniques. Aside from pulling the chuck roast earlier than the brisket because it had reached the desired internal temperature sooner, they were treated the same.

With a dozen family members here for dinner, both pieces of protein got rave reviews. The only complaints came from our two Miniature Schnauzers who were miffed because there were no leftovers; not even scraps. :rolleyes:

Now, whether a Texas BBQ joint would serve chuck roast seems pretty immaterial to me; those gathered at MY house actually had a slight preference for the chuck roast. And, I keep getting requests to cook more of it.

YMMV…and, probably does. 🤣

I’d keep feeding them Chuck roast then if they prefer smoked Chuck roast, but PLEASE don’t try and pass it off as brisket. Lightening would strike you where I live just for thinking about it. Chuck roast and a crock pot go together like bacon and eggs.

I’d keep feeding them Chuck roast then if they prefer smoked Chuck roast, but PLEASE don’t try and pass it off as brisket. Lightening would strike you where I live just for thinking about it. Chuck roast and a crock pot go together like bacon and eggs.
It must be a Texas thing. 🤣

Not even sure on sides… I just wanna make sure the damn thing gets done today lol..
If you don’t put some tomatillos, small potatoes and carrot slices in an aluminum pan under the protein to catch the drippings, you have missed to boat on the best side dish ever. Don‘t be afraid to slather them in a little olive oil and butter add some apple juice or water and your favorite seasonings and you are on the road to success. Just be a little light on the salt as the beef drippings will add enough by themselves. Just sayin!!!

IMG_9184.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back