Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
I have performed this mod. So far, no issues. YMMV
120 volt (coil) Idec relay SPDT
Parallel coil with blower and neutral.
Place normally open contact in series with (yellow) auger.
When fan stops, auger stops preventing final feed.
20230807_082655.jpg

Oh no, Erma Bombeck?! Huh? Hey Chris. Ok, I'm not gonna pretend I understood your genius schematic design mods, but which model RT is this for? Were you having burn back issues before to necessitate the mod? Just curious if others could use this, too. Thanks for sharing it!

Oh no, Erma Bombeck?! Huh? Hey Chris. Ok, I'm not gonna pretend I understood your genius schematic design mods, but which model RT is this for? Were you having burn back issues before to necessitate the mod? Just curious if others could use this, too. Thanks for sharing it!
It will work for all units. Again, the intent is to defeat the "prime" feature. This has only been tested with upgraded auger motors.

EDIT: I was originally working on a plug-N-Play unit. It can be done, but drives the cost up significantly.

Last edited:
Well done on the bypass circuit. However, wouldn’t it be easier to use a WiFi enabled smart plug that could be programmed using IFTTT with a timeout value of T+X seconds (where X = your time out value post cool down and before final auger feed) to kill power to the entire controller? You could then set the switch to turn back on Y minutes after the initial sequence executes to re-enable power and full functionality of your remote grill capabilities. This method would avoid any potential warranty issues and ensure your ability to restore power to the smoker.

Just saying, lol.

Well done on the bypass circuit. However, wouldn’t it be easier to use a WiFi enabled smart plug that could be programmed using IFTTT with a timeout value of T+X seconds (where X = your time out value post cool down and before final auger feed) to kill power to the entire controller? You could then set the switch to turn back on Y minutes after the initial sequence executes to re-enable power and full functionality of your remote grill capabilities. This method would avoid any potential warranty issues and ensure your ability to restore power to the smoker.

Just saying, lol.
Splices and cuts are made on the device side, not harness.
Warranty? :ROFLMAO:

I have performed this mod. So far, no issues. YMMV
120 volt (coil) Idec relay SPDT
Parallel coil with blower and neutral.
Place normally open contact in series with (yellow) auger.
When fan stops, auger stops preventing final feed.
What happens when cooking and the fan cycles on and off which it does sometimes?

What happens when cooking and the fan cycles on and off which it does sometimes?
I thought it may be an issue, it wasn't.

Good point!

Last edited:
It is typically cycling to ensure the temperature profile is maintained. This is normal behavior. If you are new to your unit, it gets really exciting when the shutdown procedure initiates and the fan goes on full blast.

Hey Keeper! Let us know if your mod works every time after high temp cooks. I have a feeling it might not be so on 680, 700, or 1070. Also, on low/slow, when the fan goes off/on frequently, you might not get pellet feed enough to maintain a fire (since it won't feed during the off phase)? But WTHDIK?

Hey Keeper! Let us know if your mod works every time after high temp cooks. I have a feeling it might not be so on 680, 700, or 1070. Also, on low/slow, when the fan goes off/on frequently, you might not get pellet feed enough to maintain a fire (since it won't feed during the off phase)? But WTHDIK?
No problem!
The test unit is the 680 that's my pizza oven. So far, all shutdowns at 375 without issue.

Pretty ingenious. Has RT ever provided an answer as to why these feed after shutdown?

I assumed it was to push potentially hot pellets out of the auger.

Pretty ingenious. Has RT ever provided an answer as to why these feed after shutdown?

I assumed it was to push potentially hot pellets out of the auger.
That was my understanding

No problem!
The test unit is the 680 that's my pizza oven. So far, all shutdowns at 375 without issue.
Try 500*, leave it at that temp for 15 minutes, then open lid for a couple of minutes (mimicking time to check and remove cook), then just shut it off. That would be more like what triggers most burn backs. Mine were all after 450* to 500*. (steaks, chops and burgers). I would agree that 30 seconds of pellet poop after shutdown, does not help, but don't think that is what causes the burn backs. I believe it is due to a raging fire in the burn pot, and then when lid opened, it causes over-zealous PID response with over load of new pellets, a raging bonfire, and the fan then, blows the fire into the auger tube and ignites some pellets. The fan then for 5 minutes keeps blowing. When fan goes off, fire is still raging the pot and tube, so the added pellet drop doesn't choke out the "smoldering" pellets. Just adds to the fire.

You will note that after you open lid for a minute or two at 500*, then close it, that the temp goes up considerably (40-60 or more) during the "compensation" and takes a while to come back down to 500* and stay. That is why I wait for 10 or so minutes before I turn it down to 250* and then let it cool while we eat. When it hits 250 +-. I turn it off, and no burn backs from those temps for several months now.

Probably, if you freeze the Tomahawk pack and ship to me overnight during a full moon.

Bottom line: I would not do a technical electronic mod (and void my warranty) before trying someone’s simple adjustment of control instructions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back