Stampede Burn in complete

Marshall

Military Veteran
I did my burn in this morning and all went well. It took about 17 minutes to get up to 400 and it shot past that that to 405 then dropped to 400. It stayed between 397 and 402 for the rest of the burn in with most of the time at 400. I can't ask for better than that.

I noticed during the burn in tht the 590 was't level with the hopper end being lower than the grease bucket end so I am going to have to move it. I couldn't get the grill to connect to my wifi network but I'll wait and tackle that after I move the grill to its final resting spot.

Plan to cook a sirloin steak for dinner this evening.

I hope you enjoy your 590 as much as I have been enjoying mine.

I'll lay down a yardstick and run the back wheels over it since the patio is slightly sloping away from me to level it out.

I'll lay down a yardstick and run the back wheels over it since the patio is slightly sloping away from me to level it out.
I have a brick patio area so I moved the 590 to the other end of the patio and I seem to be okay. This also helped with my wifi connection and put the grill closer to the door into the kitchen so I am happy.

The problem with living in the mountains is that nothing is flat and the patio was put in by the previous owner who didn't make sure that it was level.

They didn’t. It rained so no I had to abort. I was going to do them today but rain is moving in again. Very frustrating.
The rain just missed us so while I got a much later start than I hoped for I was still able to do my first cook tonight. I did two baked potatoes and a sirloin steak. I used the app to start up the 590 and I used it to control the temps, set a timer for the potatoes and set an alarm for the temp probe. I started at 225 for an hour to start the potatoes then I bumped up to 350 and put on the steak (my wife and I split it). The grill held the temps very well. Having the door open cause the temp to overshoot by about 5 degrees which was expected but it quickly cam down to teh set temp and held it there.

The potatoes were good but the steak didn't turn out as I envisioned it. Smoking it is different than grilling a steak. If I had the seer plates it may have been different. But I have my Big Green Egg MiniMax for steaks and burgers if I need it.

Smoke the steak 225 or lower until it’s close to temp, then reverse sear it. Even in a screaming hot cast iron in your house, a minute or so per side. See if you like the results before you buy sear plates.

Smoke the steak 225 or lower until it’s close to temp, then reverse sear it. Even in a screaming hot cast iron in your house, a minute or so per side. See if you like the results before you buy sear plates.
Define "screaming hot"

Define "screaming hot"
1694571533589.png

The rain just missed us so while I got a much later start than I hoped for I was still able to do my first cook tonight. I did two baked potatoes and a sirloin steak. I used the app to start up the 590 and I used it to control the temps, set a timer for the potatoes and set an alarm for the temp probe. I started at 225 for an hour to start the potatoes then I bumped up to 350 and put on the steak (my wife and I split it). The grill held the temps very well. Having the door open cause the temp to overshoot by about 5 degrees which was expected but it quickly cam down to teh set temp and held it there.

The potatoes were good but the steak didn't turn out as I envisioned it. Smoking it is different than grilling a steak. If I had the seer plates it may have been different. But I have my Big Green Egg MiniMax for steaks and burgers if I need it.
I use grill grates, flat side up, on my Weber Summit gaser, they get to 700+, so it's quick sear. Many times, I Sous Vide the steaks if they're thick enough. The only times I use the 590 for steaks is to smoke them prior to searing on the Weber. IMO, the 590 with grill grates is not very impressive.

I did my burn in this morning and all went well. It took about 17 minutes to get up to 400 and it shot past that that to 405 then dropped to 400. It stayed between 397 and 402 for the rest of the burn in with most of the time at 400. I can't ask for better than that.

I noticed during the burn in tht the 590 was't level with the hopper end being lower than the grease bucket end so I am going to have to move it. I couldn't get the grill to connect to my wifi network but I'll wait and tackle that after I move the grill to its final resting spot.

Plan to cook a sirloin steak for dinner this evening.
Just turn the smoker 180* then the low end will be where the grease drains. However, make sure that it is level from front to back of grates so grease does not follow gravity to the front or rear support areas. It will then run down the sides to the bottom of the barrel. I use floor tiles to level mine when needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back