Stampede New Stampede Owner - Finally Operational

ThatGuy

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
After a slow start, my Stampede is now up and running. Like most everyone else, I'm quite happy with the performance.

The original wi-fi controller display was missing digit segments. Rec Tec got me another but it took more than one call and a couple of emails. I had the unit assembled and made a few mods while waiting on the controller (8 days). Nothing we haven't all seen before but thought I'd share anyway.
  • Installed LavaLock lid gasket material.
  • Applied aluminum RTV to the smoke vents.
  • Fabricated a front shelf from a sheet of HDPE cutting board and mounted it to stainless folding hinges.
  • Replaced the drip bucket using a wide mouth mason jar with hanger.
  • Fabricated a secondary shelf, cheap. ($17)
  • Bolted on Camp Chef's propane Sear Box.
I had my previous gas grill for 17 years and rebuilt it many times. This is a huge upgrade for me and I love it.

Genuinely,
That Guy

Shelf Up.jpeg
Shelf Down.jpeg
Lids Open.jpeg
Shelf Bracket.jpeg

Congrats. Super nice. Can you provide close up pics of your smoke vents? How is your mason jar attached and can you provide a close up pic? Where did you get front shelf brackets? What are the dimensions of your HDPE cutting board? Sear box is awesome.

The Mason jar hangers are available via Amazon (see pic). You will need to modify the length of the handle in order to get the mouth of the jar closer to the drain spout.

Shelf brackets are the best quality I was able to find. Also at Amazon (see pic).

Cutting board is 30" X 10"

Also added screen to the control box bottom panel to keep out the wasps
Vent.jpeg
Vents.jpeg
Jar Hanger.jpeg
Screen.jpeg
Hangers On Amazon.jpg
Brackets On Amazon.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Nice work. Nice setup. You've given me some great ideas. I'm not very handy, but I just might be able to do something like that. Did it take any kind of "skill" to attach the sear box to the grill? In other words, could someone like me screw up my Stampede (that I don't have yet)?

Thanks for posting. Nice work. Nice setup. You've given me some great ideas. I'm not very handy, but I just might be able to do something like that. Did it take any kind of "skill" to attach the sear box to the grill? In other words, could someone like me screw up my Stampede (that I don't have yet)?

Honestly, it took me longer than I thought it would.

Mainly because I wasn't exactly sure where I wanted to position the sear box and I was working solo. I made a template of the sear box by placing the sear box on its side on top of a flat piece of cardboard. I traced the outer profile of the sear box and it's 5 mounting holes onto the cardboard and cut it out. I positioned the template onto the Stampede and taped it in place ( I settled on having the rear of the sear box flush with the rear of the Stampede). I then used a small center punch to mark the mounting hole locations. Drilled the holes and then bolted the sear box on. A second set of hands would have been really helpful during the bolt-on phase. Finally, I plugged the holes where the Stampede's factory handle mounts by using bolts, nuts, and fender washers.

To your question, if you can use a drill and 2 wrenches with mediocre confidence you'll do fine.

What is the screen used for? I don't see it in your pics.

@ThatGuy Looks amazing. I love the idea of the sear box attached to the grill. I'm pretty crafty, but no way could I fabricate anything :sneaky:. But you did give me the idea of a sear box. I heat up my gas grill to sear. I'd love something smaller and more simple.

@ThatGuy Looks amazing. I love the idea of the sear box attached to the grill. I'm pretty crafty, but no way could I fabricate anything :sneaky:. But you did give me the idea of a sear box. I heat up my gas grill to sear. I'd love something smaller and more simple.

Can’t wait to see what you do. Cheers.

Can’t wait to see what you do. Cheers.
@ThatGuy I have a built in gas single burner outside that I never use. I'm wondering if I can find a sear box to install where the burner is. No propane to deal with since it's hooked up to a natural gas line. Camp Chef's sear box is not a stand alone unit. So now I will probably spend the day hunting for a good, quality stand alone sear box.

@ThatGuy I have a built in gas single burner outside that I never use. I'm wondering if I can find a sear box to install where the burner is. No propane to deal with since it's hooked up to a natural gas line. Camp Chef's sear box is not a stand alone unit. So now I will probably spend the day hunting for a good, quality stand alone sear box.

If you like Camp Chef's sear box option, I would suggest calling them to see if they offer a natural gas orifice for their burner. The orifice size for natural gas will be slightly larger due to the lower pressure used in natural gas applications. Changing the orifice is literally a 15-minute job for a novice.

All the best.

If you like Camp Chef's sear box option, I would suggest calling them to see if they offer a natural gas orifice for their burner. The orifice size for natural gas will be slightly larger due to the lower pressure used in natural gas applications. Changing the orifice is literally a 15-minute job for a novice.

All the best.
Thanks! I think I will need to call them. Hopefully there is a way to replace my burner with this.

Hey ThatGuy,

Have you had to think about a cover for your modified Stampede? I guess I could add the width dimensions of the Stampede+sear box to get an estimate of the width of a cover. Just wondering if you've already had to consider it. Thanks.

I do have a cover that Rec Tec gave me. I may, down the road, modify it to fit the Stampede portion of the unit. For now, the grill sits protected under a covered rear porch; uncovered.

The Mason jar hangers are available via Amazon (see pic). You will need to modify the length of the handle in order to get the mouth of the jar closer to the drain spout.

Shelf brackets are the best quality I was able to find. Also at Amazon (see pic).

Cutting board is 30" X 10"

Also added screen to the control box bottom panel to keep out the wasps
Outstanding work!!! Gives me some ideas! Thanks!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back