Bull New Bull Owner

MikeC0502

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
New bull owner, initial burn in happening now. My boss gave me a snake river wagyu brisket for the first cook. Although I’ve smoked many a brisket, one could understand why I’m a bit nervous with such an expensive slab of meat. What do I need to watch out for?
Also, I’m not really noticing a lot of smoke, is there a way to increase this out of the box? I’ve noticed some people turning to Low for the first few hours of the cook to increase smoke, does this work?

Congrats on the new purchase you’ll love your decision. As far as the smoke goes at higher temps like the 400 degree burn in there will be little to no smoke. Under 250 she will smoke like a chimney. As for the meat all I can say is take your time and let the smoker do the heavy lifting. I’ll let some of the much more seasoned chefs give the real tips! Enjoy and let us know how it turned out!!

If you hit the "Recipes" tab at the top of the page, you will see a link to my posting of the RecTeq Academy recipe cards that I received and scanned in as a PDF. One of the cards is for brisket, and might give you a starting point. Someone mentioned that 218 was kind of high for a target temp, and I would agree. You can also find a TON of recipes on YouTube. Congratulations on the new grill.

Couple of YT examples to review...
Chef Greg Brisket Trimming --
Funday Friday Brisket (a year ago) --

Not sure what you are used to smoking on but pellet grills put on a lighter smoke than other methods. As noted above you aren’t seeing smoke because of the high temps. If you want the most smoke you can get start at Lo for an hour or two then ramp up to 225 at least until you wrap (assuming you wrap). Once you wrap you can use whatever temp you want since you aren’t smoking anymore at that point.

As far as the expensive cut of meat, as long as you take it to probe tender you have a much better chance at success with wagyu than you do prime or choice. I’d recommend YouTube videos by Meat Church, How to BBQ Right, Chud’s BBQ or Mad Scientist over anything RecTeq puts out. Most of those guys are smoking wagyu anyway and if you specify pellet grill in your search they all have a pellet version of their cooks (even Chud). I wish they would spend more time helping folks get good results with choice and prime But that’s for another thread.

Not sure what you are used to smoking on but pellet grills put on a lighter smoke than other methods. As noted above you aren’t seeing smoke because of the high temps. If you want the most smoke you can get start at Lo for an hour or two then ramp up to 225 at least until you wrap (assuming you wrap). Once you wrap you can use whatever temp you want since you aren’t smoking anymore at that point.

As far as the expensive cut of meat, as long as you take it to probe tender you have a much better chance at success with wagyu than you do prime or choice. I’d recommend YouTube videos by Meat Church, How to BBQ Right, Chud’s BBQ or Mad Scientist over anything RecTeq puts out. Most of those guys are smoking wagyu anyway and if you specify pellet grill in your search they all have a pellet version of their cooks (even Chud). I wish they would spend more time helping folks get good results with choice and prime But that’s for another thread.

This is generally how I do it, though my experience is from a gas smoker that would flame out at temps lower than 235°-240°, so I may go down to 225° now that I can reliably:

Smoke at 240° until internal temp of 160°
Double wrap w/ butchers paper, put back on
When internal temp hits 203°, probe for tenderness through paper until happy
Rest in cooler 2 hours

Since you mentioned it, this popped up on my YT mix, this afternoon... --

Welcome...I am a new Bull owner also. Bought it at Recteq Fest and have only one cook on it so far, ribs and a small corned beef brisket. Brisket was tough. I think it was just the cut of meat. Followed Malcom Reed's recipe (How To BBQ Right) for the brisket. Ribs were fall off the bone DELICIOUS!! Just got home from Kroger with 10 more racks of St. Louis ribs. Getting the large shelf to go inside and planning full dinner cooks on it soon.

Congrats and welcome.

I've been known to smoke a brisket or 2 and here is what I do:

I will start it at 200º-225º (more smoke flavor) until it hits the stall (160º-165º).
At that point I will wrap it (however, paper, foil, juice, no juice) and crank up the heat to 275º and cook it to 201º-203º
Remove from smoker and put in a cooler to rest for a minimum of 45min.
Pull from cooler and slice for dinner.

All that matters is that you and your guests enjoy it.

The pellet smoker does give a different smoke profile, it is not as heavy as other methods.

Congrats and welcome.

I've been known to smoke a brisket or 2 and here is what I do:

I will start it at 200º-225º (more smoke flavor) until it hits the stall (160º-165º).
At that point I will wrap it (however, paper, foil, juice, no juice) and crank up the heat to 275º and cook it to 201º-203º
Remove from smoker and put in a cooler to rest for a minimum of 45min.
Pull from cooler and slice for dinner.

All that matters is that you and your guests enjoy it.

The pellet smoker does give a different smoke profile, it is not as heavy as other methods.
Do ^^^ this. I season with any all-purpose SPOG rub and add some Montreal Steak seasoning as well for that chunkier texture, either 1 hour before putting on the pit and let it sit at room temp, or 8-10 hours before and refrigerate. I have not wrapped in plastic wrap if seasoned and put in the fridge before, but some swear by that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back