Need help on cook time for small brisket (7lb)

Cnote007

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I have a 7lb costco prime brisket and I’ve seen where people approximate 1 hr per lb but I was thinking that was for larger (12lb+) briskets. If I follow that rule, I’ll put this thing on at 6 am, cook for 7-10 hrs 225 U then 250 W(paper)let rest then eat for dinner. Does this sound right? Seems too quick. Was wondering if anyone had experience with these smaller briskets. I just didn’t want to end up eating at midnight. Thanks

Thank you! This is a full packer. They had just the flats but they were ‘choice’ and double the price per lb. Let’s say it finished 6 hours before meal time…could I let rest in the gas oven at 175 for awhile or does that not work well.

Thank you! This is a full packer. They had just the flats but they were ‘choice’ and double the price per lb. Let’s say it finished 6 hours before meal time…could I let rest in the gas oven at 175 for awhile or does that not work well.
Wrap it in a couple of towels and put it in a pre-heated “cooler;” it will be fine. Brisket doesn’t need to be served piping hot and the rest time will just improve the product as the internal juices will redistribute.

For pre-heating the “cooler,” I pour some hot water inside (about 1/3 full) a few minutes before using. Dump the water when you are ready to use, wipe out with a handful of paper towels and put the meat in, wrapped in some towels. The brisket will remain warm without cooking any further.

@Jim6820 's approach is textbook. If you want to get lazy (like me), a rest in a warm (like turned on for a bit and then shut off) wrapped in butcher paper or even foil over the butcher paper will accomplish the same thing. I've done a 170 preheated oven that I then shut off and put the wrapped brisket in there for over 4 hours and internal temperature of the brisket will still be 150+ which is food safe and perfect for serving.

The ice chest approach is ideal and works flawlessly. I just discovered (because my "big" ice chest was occupied a few times), that the warm oven and extra wrapping works similarly.

Given a nice quiet place to rest, the briskets really do hold their own for quite a bit of time.

Wrap it in a couple of towels and put it in a pre-heated “cooler;” it will be fine. Brisket doesn’t need to be served piping hot and the rest time will just improve the product as the internal juices will redistribute.

For pre-heating the “cooler,” I pour some hot water inside (about 1/3 full) a few minutes before using. Dump the water when you are ready to use, wipe out with a handful of paper towels and put the meat in, wrapped in some towels. The brisket will remain warm without cooking any further.
What he said. This is true fore just about any larger pieces of meat.

I even do this to my ribs sometimes for about an hour. they will be so tender that you can pull the bones right out and make a rib sandwich. You will be laughed at in a competition for this but if you’re just cooking at home and for friends they will love it. I call this rib candy.

I always plan my cooks to be done a few hours before eating. Everything stays perfectly hot when wrapped and put in a cooler. Then, if the cook takes longer than expected, I have a buffer so we're not eating at midnight.

BTW - welcome to the forum and the RT family!

I've found I like the 250-275F range for my cooks better than 225F. The cook times are more predictable and the results every bit as good. I had come to that conclusion just a couple months before taking Harry Soo's class, after having cooked a lot at 225F and all other temps, up to really hot n fast (as high as 400F). Harry Soo stated in his class many times that 250-275F is where you want to BBQ. I guess it validated what I was finding. For brisket, butts, ribs, I just set 275F and run it.

... Brisket doesn’t need to be served piping hot and the rest time will just improve the product as the internal juices will redistribute.

Jim,
Harry Soo had me very slowly pour a beef broth concentrate over a brisket he just pulled off the smoker and opened the wrap. I could see the broth being sucked into the meat, almost like a sponge. He said the meat cooling in the open air causes it to draw the moisture in. He had made a strong beef broth concentrate to do this with, which added flavor and moisture. He then wrapped it back up and let it rest. It was one of his comp tips.

I've found I like the 250-275F range for my cooks better than 225F. The cook times are more predictable and the results every bit as good. I had come to that conclusion just a couple months before taking Harry Soo's class, after having cooked a lot at 225F and all other temps, up to really hot n fast (as high as 400F). Harry Soo stated in his class many times that 250-275F is where you want to BBQ. I guess it validated what I was finding. For brisket, butts, ribs, I just set 275F and run it.
Thanks so much guys. I have noticed (especially in colder weather) the 225 temp gives me some frustration. If I can bump that up and get some more consistency I think that would be great

Question for you.. when you say “set to 275 and run it” do you mean no wrap just go till it’s done?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back