My RecTeq causing family issues?

I also took over all the cooking when I retired at the end of 2015. My wife is happy I did. I am happy I did. All’s well that ends well I guess. And this has set me up for adding cookers andvrelatedvtools because I hyst tell her I need (fill in the blank) to take the meals up another level. Mo push back so far and I have 9 cookers..... so far. 😉

In all fairness I do have the luxury to work from home at the moment where she is in class all day with little ones. So I guess I'm happy to be pitching in but didn't expect to get the direct handover of the torch so quickly :).. I guess I'll have to keep building the arsenal up. I can say there is little hesitation when I say I need tools for cooking.. She kind of pushes me now saying if I need it to get it.

I was just showing her the BFG and I think it's gonna take some work for that one yet.. ;)

See that is how it needs to work for us.. the only issue I might run into is I keep mine inside and wheel it out when I use it .. Yes, this is almost daily and gets old. I know for sure she won't wheel it out as it involves putting down plywood over rocks in front of my garage door. Hmmm..
Sounds like some pavers or concrete work is in order.

My wife and I trade off cooking about every few days. I get burned out, her turn. She gets burned out, my turn. Gives me time to plan cooks, marinate, cure, shop, relax, etc. Comments of the final product, good or bad, are welcome too. No hurt feelings. We don't want to make that thing again that way that no one enjoys because no one said anything. "That was great Honey 😁" 🤮(n)

I like the idea of teaching her to use the bull. Why not, I use her kitchen toys. Maybe we set up a rib cook-off or something. You babysit yours, I'll babysit mine, and the winner doesn't have to do the dishes. If that's a hit with the wife, maybe get her a grill 😃(y)

Ok.. I'll try to make this short. Ever since I got my Bull I have to admit I have been a little addicted to it. Ok.. so it's an obsession.. there.. I said it!!

Now I love my wife dearly after 30 years of marriage we are still very happy but tonight, I was just doing a simple spatchcocked chicken and would you know it came out good like the rest of the meals so far and she really enjoyed it.

The problem comes in where while we were sitting there eating she turns to me and says.. "You don't need me anymore, I'm going to hand over the reigns to you for cooking dinner if you keep cooking like this". My response: "It's not me.. it's the RecTeq!"

I was not expecting this kind of conversation at our dinner time so reaching out to my dear RecTeq family (ok, therapy group) here for advice.
  • Do I dump her and get the BFG and move on happily ever after?
  • Do I start trying to make crappy food on the RecTeq and let her feel a part of the dinner success process again?
  • Do I just back off my addiction somewhat all together, seek help and let her regain the "Kitchen Queen" title again?
  • Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and have a happy wife and suffer the consequences?
I'm truly concerned this could turn into her seriously abandoning any cooking from here on out and leave it to me! What have I created?

Open to other suggestions..

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.. 😁
Hey, look what I found:
download.jpg

Explain that this is a deal of a lifetime because you don't have to purchase a comp cart or front shelf.

Last edited:
Get matching Chef and Sous Chef jackets. One of y'all work on the mains while the other handles the sides.

This is what we do in our house and it works perfectly. My wife of 30 years actually relishes in that role. She is also the main point for most of the sides. We don't have matching Chef Jackets but you get the picture.
After years of ruining t-shirts and other garments while cooking, I bought a Chef's Jacket a few months ago and use it every night. Saves me a lot of favorite shirts.

So tonight I let her roll with a kitchen meal.. I think this can balance out somehow :).. Appreciate all the thoughts as I can nudge these ideas in here and there.

I retired around the same time my wife was pregnant with our child, each of which contributed to me taking over the cooking duties. We realized that she hated cooking and I love it. Shortly after that I ordered the RT-700 and haven't looked back.

Looks awesome. Do you prefer that over a (masculine) apron?
Nope, I have this one because the parent company of the university my wife works for used to own LCB, and they gave her two of these jackets. I’ve worn it once when cooking, when a couple of years ago I prepared an 8-course Christmas meal for the officers of a local non-profit she is associated with. I really don’t even like wearing an apron, but my shirts get trashed if I don’t.

I retired around the same time my wife was pregnant with our child, each of which contributed to me taking over the cooking duties. We realized that she hated cooking and I love it. Shortly after that I ordered the RT-700 and haven't looked back.

Wait.. retired young enough to still be having little ones? You are my hero 🦸‍♂️ Sir!

Wait.. retired young enough to still be having little ones? You are my hero 🦸‍♂️ Sir!
It's either this or I feel sorry for him. :oops:
Hah. I've been fortunate for sure, although the timing was both good and bad. I retired three months after our son was born, which lets me really take part in watching him grow up. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.
It was also two months before the rona hit, so most of my post-retirement travel plans were upended. :(

The good news is I've had lots of time to spend with my RT-700 I bought a few months into covid. ;)

Hah. I've been fortunate for sure, although the timing was both good and bad. I retired three months after our son was born, which lets me really take part in watching him grow up. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.
It was also two months before the rona hit, so most of my post-retirement travel plans were upended. :(

The good news is I've had lots of time to spend with my RT-700 I bought a few months into covid. ;)

All sounds good to my ears.. congrats on all fronts! You only live once is what I say.

Ok.. I'll try to make this short. Ever since I got my Bull I have to admit I have been a little addicted to it. Ok.. so it's an obsession.. there.. I said it!!

Now I love my wife dearly after 30 years of marriage we are still very happy but tonight, I was just doing a simple spatchcocked chicken and would you know it came out good like the rest of the meals so far and she really enjoyed it.

The problem comes in where while we were sitting there eating she turns to me and says.. "You don't need me anymore, I'm going to hand over the reigns to you for cooking dinner if you keep cooking like this". My response: "It's not me.. it's the RecTeq!"

I was not expecting this kind of conversation at our dinner time so reaching out to my dear RecTeq family (ok, therapy group) here for advice.
  • Do I dump her and get the BFG and move on happily ever after?
  • Do I start trying to make crappy food on the RecTeq and let her feel a part of the dinner success process again?
  • Do I just back off my addiction somewhat all together, seek help and let her regain the "Kitchen Queen" title again?
  • Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and have a happy wife and suffer the consequences?
I'm truly concerned this could turn into her seriously abandoning any cooking from here on out and leave it to me! What have I created?

Open to other suggestions..

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.. 😁
My wife keeps remind me that "she bought it". Damm, just when I thought I was gonna be the boss. Oh well..............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back