My RecTeq causing family issues?

There are a lot of people who have their wives cook on the RTs. That's probably best option. Make it a joint effort.

STOP and think!!!

I have been married for 36 years. I love the wife so she and I will stay together. I love my cooking toys so they must all stay. I love my dinners so they must NEVER be screwed up.

My wife is entrusted with all the prep work. I cannot use pre-made sauces and rubs since I must not use sugar. She does all the sauces and rubs and all the prep. At my dinner table I complement HER even though she prepped using my suggestions and specifications.

So heaven is all together and she is told repeatedly that I couldn't do it without her!!

Make sense?

Last edited:
STOP and think!!!
I have been married for 36 years. I love the wife so she and I will stay together. I love my cooking toys so they must all stay. I love my dinners so they must NEVER be screwed up.

I allow my wife to do the prep work. I cannot use pre-made sauces and rubs since I must not use sugar, she does all the sauces and rubs and all the prep. At my dinner table complement HER even though she prepped using my suggestions and specifications. So heaven is all together and she is told that I couldn't do it without her!!

Make sense?

This absolutely makes sense and is very much similar to what is happening although I can see now I need to compliment her on the sides.

It happened again last night but it was a bit worse. I wish I realized this then.

I made a rack of Berkshire Ribs and they really turned out incredible (not to toot my own horn)

So I keep tossing gas on the flame I suppose and it is my fault.

I can't even count how many times she said Holly $hit.. and OMG throughout ... over and over again the comments even hours later she kept talking about it. She never cleans food of the bones and even commented herself what she did to these.

She does not know about this thread and would probably get a chuckle if she did. But she repeated her words and even a bit more direct this time. She said "I'm not kidding.. I will hand over the reigns to you" something like that.

But.. similar to your situation she did make the side salad and even put the dressings (we like separate ones) at our settings. If I had only thought of this sooner I could have made a much bigger deal out of the salad.. like how well cut the onions were or the lettuce was such a perfect size and crispness :).

I am living in fear but can't help making these cooks.. They just turn out too good! I might have to get rid of the Bull if it keeps up to save myself 😁 .

842C948F-3603-4238-B473-F5C538FC41FF.jpeg
299C1625-2B48-403E-BCF5-8782573920AD.jpeg
43E3C134-CCD4-49D7-AE83-22B733E46F13.jpeg

Last edited:
This absolutely makes sense and is very much similar to what is happening although I can see now I need to compliment her on the sides.

It happened again last night but it was a bit worse. I wish I realized this then.

I made a rack of Berkshire Ribs and they really turned out incredible (not to toot my own horn)

So I keep tossing gas on the flame I suppose and it is my fault.

I can't even count how many times she said Holly $hit.. and OMG throughout ... over and over again the comments even hours later she kept talking about it. She never cleans food of the bones and even commented herself what she did to these.

She does not know about this thread and would probably get a chuckle if she did. But she repeated her words and even a bit more direct this time. She said "I'm not kidding.. I will hand over the reigns to you" something like that.

But.. similar to your situation she did make the side salad and even put the dressings (we like separate ones) at our settings. If I had only thought of this sooner I could have made a much bigger deal out of the salad.. like how well cut the onions were or the lettuce was such a perfect size and crispness :).

I am living in fear but can't help making these cooks.. They just turn out too good! I might have to get rid of the Bull if it keeps up to save myself 😁 .

View attachment 8909View attachment 8910View attachment 8911
Good luck my friend!!. Stay smart and you will be in BLISS!!!... LOL.

Ok.. I'll try to make this short. Ever since I got my Bull I have to admit I have been a little addicted to it. Ok.. so it's an obsession.. there.. I said it!!

Now I love my wife dearly after 30 years of marriage we are still very happy but tonight, I was just doing a simple spatchcocked chicken and would you know it came out good like the rest of the meals so far and she really enjoyed it.

The problem comes in where while we were sitting there eating she turns to me and says.. "You don't need me anymore, I'm going to hand over the reigns to you for cooking dinner if you keep cooking like this". My response: "It's not me.. it's the RecTeq!"

I was not expecting this kind of conversation at our dinner time so reaching out to my dear RecTeq family (ok, therapy group) here for advice.
  • Do I dump her and get the BFG and move on happily ever after?
  • Do I start trying to make crappy food on the RecTeq and let her feel a part of the dinner success process again?
  • Do I just back off my addiction somewhat all together, seek help and let her regain the "Kitchen Queen" title again?
  • Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and have a happy wife and suffer the consequences?
I'm truly concerned this could turn into her seriously abandoning any cooking from here on out and leave it to me! What have I created?

Open to other suggestions..

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.. 😁
I have no idea what to tell you, pal. My problem is so different. My DW, like me, is getting old. Unlike me, she still looks great in a bikini. No s***. However, if I did not feed her I think she would starve to death. She doesn't care if I cook or if I don't cook. Would she like a filet? A hot dog? It doesn't matter . Do you know what it's like cooking I'm on that Rec Tec for one people? I shouldn't have to cook for one people. It's a very lonely thing. But the cook must go on.

Honestly, I don't see a problem ....
Once I retire, I move the TV in my Shop out to the Patio, and between the Bull (and my neglected Gas Grill), what CAN'T I cook and still enjoy what I want to watch on the Tube ?
Even in the winter, the Bull has cooked some AMAZING meals
Over nights, Low and Slow, quick 1 - 3 hour Cooks
With a little "trial a errors" I'm guessing I can figure-out the timing on most side dishes on the Bull on its neglected Brother

Anyhow .... good luck in YOUR adventure

So, what ended up in my family is I do all the slow and low cooks and my wife does all the high heat grill grate cooks. Once she realized that she could use the 590 as an oven or a grill it was all over. She even now gets the grill set up with pellets and electricity. I told her she took my job. I toke pride in setting up the grill for a cook. Now my problem is quickly becoming the opposite of yours. I am not needed anymore!!!!! Oh well the food is great and we both love the 590

So, what ended up in my family is I do all the slow and low cooks and my wife does all the high heat grill grate cooks. Once she realized that she could use the 590 as an oven or a grill it was all over. She even now gets the grill set up with pellets and electricity. I told her she took my job. I toke pride in setting up the grill for a cook. Now my problem is quickly becoming the opposite of yours. I am not needed anymore!!!!! Oh well the food is great and we both love the 590

Ya know.. I never thought about this possibility! At least the food is good and all are happy in the end :).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back