Mothers Day Prime Rib Cook

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day, and all our mothers out there were spoiled on this day as they should be.

Picked up a USDA Prime Rib Roast from the butcher for the meal tonight. It was a two bone roast and came in at 4.97#. Butcher trimmed the roast then tied the bones (two) back on the roast when I picked it up. Forgot to tell him I was going to smoke this roast, so it had more fat cap than I really wanted. Therefore the roast had a little more fat cap then I wanted. I cut the strings off the ribs, trimmed more of the fat cap, rubbed (first layer Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria, then some Montreal Steak Seasoning) and cooked them both separate. Put them on the pit at 225 for about 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark the roast was at 92 IT (started at 41 IT since I had the roast out of fridge about 45 minutes). Bumped the temp up to 250 for about 30 minutes and then to 275 until the roast hit 130 IT. Pulled onto a cutting board and covered both the roast and rib portions with foil for about 20 minutes. IT went from 130 to 136 IT. Sliced and this roast was VERY good. I might have over seasoned just a tad (I am thinking because I was at the end of the Montreal Seasoning bottle so more salt), but not too bad. Great smoke flavor, and boy spending for Prime beef does make a difference sometimes. I also grilled zucchini as one of the sides.....sorry due to the cook times, the zuch was done on my gasser.

Attachments

• PM Rubbed.jpg
    PM Rubbed.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PM off the pit.jpg
    PM off the pit.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 72
  • PM sliced.jpg
    PM sliced.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 69
Hi all,

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day, and all our mothers out there were spoiled on this day as they should be.

Picked up a USDA Prime Rib Roast from the butcher for the meal tonight. It was a two bone roast and came in at 4.97#. Butcher trimmed the roast then tied the bones (two) back on the roast when I picked it up. Forgot to tell him I was going to smoke this roast, so it had more fat cap than I really wanted. Therefore the roast had a little more fat cap then I wanted. I cut the strings off the ribs, trimmed more of the fat cap, rubbed (first layer Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria, then some Montreal Steak Seasoning) and cooked them both separate. Put them on the pit at 225 for about 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark the roast was at 92 IT (started at 41 IT since I had the roast out of fridge about 45 minutes). Bumped the temp up to 250 for about 30 minutes and then to 275 until the roast hit 130 IT. Pulled onto a cutting board and covered both the roast and rib portions with foil for about 20 minutes. IT went from 130 to 136 IT. Sliced and this roast was VERY good. I might have over seasoned just a tad (I am thinking because I was at the end of the Montreal Seasoning bottle so more salt), but not too bad. Great smoke flavor, and boy spending for Prime beef does make a difference sometimes. I also grilled zucchini as one of the sides.....sorry due to the cook times, the zuch was done on my gasser.
That is one great looking roast. It is true, you get what you pay for. Takes the same time and effort for a low quality meat. For the amount of effort and time it does take to prepare, its worth the extra money. Not sure about zucchini. It's the tofu of the veggie world. ??

Great job on that puppy!

Looks great! Some taters and a good wine or beer and I'd be all over it.

Me? My birthday fell on mother's day this year. I didn't do squat. But my wife baked me a home made apple pie, with the crust lattice weaved. Man, that's some good pie.

Looks great! Some taters and a good wine or beer and I'd be all over it.

Me? My birthday fell on mother's day this year. I didn't do squat. But my wife baked me a home made apple pie, with the crust lattice weaved. Man, that's some good pie.
Maybe a good cigar to top it all off? ??

Nah, but I did have a great Napa Cab I stole from my wife's collection. Dinner was some leftover tritip diced and seasoned and sautee'd a bit for tacos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back