More pellets

Caps_Shield

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I just filled the 590 for the initial burn and 1 bag of 20 pounds almost filled the hopper. So I stopped. Can you fill a hopper mid cook if you do so before it is empty? I’m new at this. I wouldn’t see why not because long cooks you may need a lot of pellets.

Yup, I even ran out of pellets one time mid-cook because I wasn't paying attention and my cook never skipped a beat (other than a temperature drop alert).

I typically try to put enough pellets in the hopper to finish a cook. When calculated properly, on an 8 hour cook at 225-240 I will have 1-2 red cups left by the end. On longer cooks (i.e., briskets, pork butts, and similar) is it harder to predict but will check periodically to see what is left and I can refresh on the fly. Full disclosure, I live in SoCal so my temps don’t vary much during the year resulting in pretty even pellet consumption. This technique allows me to use my premium pellets for the initial cooks and use lesser brand pellets after I wrap because the protein is no longer absorbing smoke anyway. I have a friend that drilled a small hole in the hopper cover of his Bull and put a oversized long plastic straw mounted to a flat plastic disc (large enough to not get sucked into the feed mechanism) in his. He put markings on it and he drinks beer and watches the “pole dance” to see when it is low. I personally have a problem putting holes a what a BBQ’r would call art work though. Happy smokin’

It is recommended to run the grills empty of pellets after 4 - 5 bags of pellets used. This will allow you to clean out the pellet dust from the hopper.

I just filled the 590 for the initial burn and 1 bag of 20 pounds almost filled the hopper. So I stopped. Can you fill a hopper mid cook if you do so before it is empty? I’m new at this. I wouldn’t see why not because long cooks you may need a lot of pellets.
I do it all the time. I don’t like the hopper to sit idle with too many pellets for fear of excess moisture and the cleanup mess afterwards.

It is recommended to run the grills empty of pellets after 4 - 5 bags of pellets used. This will allow you to clean out the pellet dust from the hopper.
Is there any way to clean the auger sleeve without taking out the auger? I don’t want to introduce water in there but Ii didn’t know if the veterans on the forum have tried anything.

Is there any way to clean the auger sleeve without taking out the auger? I don’t want to introduce water in there but Ii didn’t know if the veterans on the forum have tried anything.
Compressed air. I use a small air compressor and an air gun. It blows out the accumulated dust nicely.

Just my two cents on the cleaning the hopper and auger of dust question. Most of my career I was active in agriculture, as a farmer, then as a nutritionist for primarily hog, beef, and dairy production, and later as an agronomist and crop consultant. Over my career I have a lot of experience with augers moving loose, shelled grains (think pellet dust) and corn on the cob grains (think pellets). Whenever switching from one loose grain to another where contamination might be an issue (shelled corn to soybeans), they would flush the auger (think pellet dust) with corn cobs (think pellets).

The recommendation from recteq that one must purge the auger of pellet dust by letting the hopper run dry of pellets is completely unfounded. The dust will be purged from the auger naturally as pellets force the dust out of the auger. I’ve had my RT-700 for over three years now, have shared here how I have burned thousands of pounds of pellets in it, and I have never cleansed the hopper or auger once.

Last edited:
Just my two cents on the cleaning the hopper and auger of dust question. Most of my career I was active in agriculture, as a farmer, then as a nutritionist for primarily hog, beef, and dairy production, and later as an agronomist and crop consultant. Over my career I have a lot of experience with augers moving loose, shelled grains (think pellet dust) and corn on the cob grains (think pellets). Whenever switching from one loose grain to another where contamination might be an issue (shelled corn to soybeans), they would flush the auger (think pellet dust) with corn cobs (think pellets).

The recommendation from recteq that one must purge the auger of pellet dust by letting the hopper run dry of pellets is completely unfounded. The dust will be purged from the auger naturally as pellets force the dust out of the auger. I’ve had my RT-700 for over three years now, have shared here how I have burned thousands of pounds of pellets in it, and I have never cleansed the hopper or anger once.
Thank you! That all makes sense. Looking to retire down your way. My wife is from Bryant station and we’re looking at Winchester area.

The recommendation from recteq that one must purge the auger of pellet dust by letting the hopper run dry of pellets is completely unfounded. The dust will be purged from the auger naturally as pellets force the dust out of the auger. I’ve had my RT-700 for over three years now, have shared here how I have burned thousands of pounds of pellets in it, and I have never cleansed the hopper or anger once.
@Greg Jones , this is not the place for logic 😁

Thank you! That all makes sense. Looking to retire down your way. My wife is from Bryant station and we’re looking at Winchester area.

Don’t let your wife know you said Bryant Station instead of Bryan Station, and we may let you in! Welcome to the Bluegrass and the home of Ale8 One!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back