Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
Okay, I know a byproduct of combustion is moisture but why on the hopper lid?

Thanks for your time....

Chris

On the inside? Did you add felt gasket?

If so, whatever moisture is there probably can't escape.

Yes, inside lid.
No gasket.

Could be your pellets aren't totally dry. Tie some rice in a sock and bury it in the hopper. Just be sure to remove it before grilling!!

Thanks for the idea. First time I've seen this so I threw the rest of the pellets away.

Totally normal with temperature and humidity changes. If your pellets make heat there ok to use, don't throw them away. When I see condensation under the hoppers lid I just leave it open for a while until it's gone. My hoppers lid is like recteq delivered it to me unsealed.

I’d ask where and how do you store your pellets? I store mine in the garage on a shelf that’s about 8” off the concrete floor. And, once I open a bag, I put them in a (or 2) give-gallon paint buckets with lids that I got at my local Home Depot. I read somewhere years ago that putting the bags directly on the concrete floor wasn’t good. I didn’t question it. I’ve never had moisture issues with my pellets. I’d been using a pellet grill since around 2007-2008 (Traeger BBQ-075) until I got my B in 4/2020.

The other question I would ask is where do you store your grill? Mine is in a roofed screen porch and I don’t use the cover unless I’m not using my RT-700 for a few weeks. I roll it out the porch for each use. While I’ve had a few cooks in light rain, I never had moisture get into my hopper. My point is that maybe direct sunlight on the unit/hopper door could be generating heat when your unit snd the pellets in the hopper were cold or cool from nighttime temperatures...since we are coming out of winter and having a mild spring...thus far. In my version of logic, that could be an issue that creates condensation.

Lastly, I would be sure that you let your unit cool off 100% before putting the cover on it...if that’s something you might do. Again, I’m just trying to figure EO it what situations would have a heat vs cool/cold situation that would create the condensation.

I discount the wet pellet theory as I don’t see how your hopper, auger, or fire box wouldn’t jam from wet pellets...or if they would even burn. Just a thought.

I hope you are able to figure it out and let us know. My heart aches at the thought of throwing pellets away.

I’d ask where and how do you store your pellets? I store mine in the garage on a shelf that’s about 8” off the concrete floor. And, once I open a bag, I put them in a (or 2) give-gallon paint buckets with lids that I got at my local Home Depot. I read somewhere years ago that putting the bags directly on the concrete floor wasn’t good. I didn’t question it. I’ve never had moisture issues with my pellets. I’d been using a pellet grill since around 2007-2008 (Traeger BBQ-075) until I got my B in 4/2020.

The other question I would ask is where do you store your grill? Mine is in a roofed screen porch and I don’t use the cover unless I’m not using my RT-700 for a few weeks. I roll it out the porch for each use. While I’ve had a few cooks in light rain, I never had moisture get into my hopper. My point is that maybe direct sunlight on the unit/hopper door could be generating heat when your unit snd the pellets in the hopper were cold or cool from nighttime temperatures...since we are coming out of winter and having a mild spring...thus far. In my version of logic, that could be an issue that creates condensation.

Lastly, I would be sure that you let your unit cool off 100% before putting the cover on it...if that’s something you might do. Again, I’m just trying to figure EO it what situations would have a heat vs cool/cold situation that would create the condensation.

I discount the wet pellet theory as I don’t see how your hopper, auger, or fire box wouldn’t jam from wet pellets...or if they would even burn. Just a thought.

I hope you are able to figure it out and let us know. My heart aches at the thought of throwing pellets away.
...my Bull in 04/20

Totally normal with temperature and humidity changes. If your pellets make heat there ok to use, don't throw them away. When I see condensation under the hoppers lid I just leave it open for a while until it's gone. My hoppers lid is like recteq delivered it to me unsealed.
@Mastertech59 in all fairness the pellets came with my newly acquired RT-680. They were stored in a 5 gallon buckets and some were left in the hopper o I felt better getting rid of them not knowing the history.

They came with the grill, some in the hopper and some in 5 gallon pails without covers. I hate to be wasteful but felt it best to dispose of them.

I've never seen the condensation on the hopper before, always something new to learn.

...my Bull in 04/20
I drove over to Augusta to buy it...from Charleston SC. I couldn't wait any longer. I had been going back and forth about the RT-700 or the Grilla Grill Silverbac. So I went to see the RT-700 in person. I liked the bigger grill area it had and I was sold. :) I've been very happy with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back