Lumberjack Pellet mixing?

timelinex

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just ran through my first bag and it was Lumberjack Competition blend. Unfortunately my local retailer is out of the Comp blend and only has the 100% woods. I'm no expert but all I know is it worked good, smoked good, and tasted good. So if I buy the separate woods, how do you guys mix it all? I know Hickory is the staple in many blends, but that you don't want too much of it because it could get overpowering and bitter? Any advice for a newbie?

It's all personal preference. For instance, I can't stand mesquite myself but I recognize it's a staple in the segment. I'm also confident that, due to the limited smoke profile pellet smokers impart on the meat, whatever you use will ultimately affect the end product very little.

I doubt you would overpower anything with straight hickory. I have used 100% many times. All depends on what you get, 1/3 would be good if you can get 3 different 100% pellets

Just remember, if you take a few of each and place in a cup of water, the ones that float longer means they have more smoke in them. So make sure you dont miss the sink timing because just a few minutes means exponentially more smoke. Once you report back on timing, ill dig out my smoke chart.

Just remember, if you take a few of each and place in a cup of water, the ones that float longer means they have more smoke in them. So make sure you dont miss the sink timing because just a few minutes means exponentially more smoke. Once you report back on timing, ill dig out my smoke chart.
Can you share your smoke float chart?

Looks like you can't order Req Teq pellets anymore either without the purchase of a new grill. Wow, investors got their hands full to fix things properly.

I usually run 100% hickory without issue. It's not like you're stickburning. I prefer HI smoke for an hour or so, then crank it up to 225, which gives a little less smoke.

I enjoyed the commentary!

I got a bag of Hickory to hold me over for a Rib smoke. Can confirm, it's not too strong. Not sure what the online articles are talking about. Couldn't tell the difference outside of a little smell.

Never heard complaints of pure hickory being bitter and overpowering, sounds more like how too much mesquite turns out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbypoole
Back