Stampede Looking at the 590 for my first pellet grill

JDRight

I'm looking at buying the 590 for my first pellet grill and have a couple of questions:

Do the vents vs the smoke stack perform as well as far as the amount of smoke flavor you get?
Also, I live in Minnesota and grill all year round and am hoping that the heat can keep up in the dead of winter.
  • I've seen posts about the various ways to blanket your grill.
  • I've also seen a post where someone installed a faster motor for the feed. Is it possible to get the faster motor?
Thanks for any input!

I'm looking at buying the 590 for my first pellet grill and have a couple of questions:

Do the vents vs the smoke stack perform as well as far as the amount of smoke flavor you get?
Also, I live in Minnesota and grill all year round and am hoping that the heat can keep up in the dead of winter.
  • I've seen posts about the various ways to blanket your grill.
  • I've also seen a post where someone installed a faster motor for the feed. Is it possible to get the faster motor?
Thanks for any input!
I have only had my RT-590 for a couple weeks, but I can confirm the vents in the back work great!
Mine has shown it can evenly cook biscuits with the only hot-spots really being at the front and back edges.

I smoked some jerky this weekend that almost has too much smoke, the flavor you can get depends on what temp you cook at and what pellets you use.
I don't think a faster motor is needed, it keeps up with temp shifts quite well, I have heard of people upgrading the auger on their 700, but I don't have any experience with that model.

i have a 3rpm rt700 and a buddy has a stock 590. he says his will hit 500 quick and he has also had it upto 600. from his feedback it seems like the 590 is pretty dang good for slow or fast from the factory. my buddy got a deal on his also. he got it at recteq and they gave him a free cover and when he pulled around to the loading dock the only assembled 590 they had also had the front shelf. so he got that free also!!!! and a 40lb bag of pellets

i have a 3rpm rt700 and a buddy has a stock 590. he says his will hit 500 quick and he has also had it upto 600. from his feedback it seems like the 590 is pretty dang good for slow or fast from the factory. my buddy got a deal on his also. he got it at recteq and they gave him a free cover and when he pulled around to the loading dock the only assembled 590 they had also had the front shelf. so he got that free also!!!! and a 40lb bag of pellets
That has been my experience as well, I can get up to 500 in 20 minutes or so from a cold start, things pop and warp above 400 or so, but so far have unwarped on the way back down. set to full it got to 590 after 20 minutes or so, it does drop fast when you open the door, but it recovers quickly *3-5 minutes or so.

Not the Stampede, but with a blanket the smoker does fine on very cold low heat overnight cooks, it does suck up more fuel. Have not noticed a problem with high heat for pizza and such when it's cold, but I have the 340.

I have experienced more like 1/2 hr to get to high temp of 400° or above. Have used in ND winter, it does pretty good. Sure helps to keep out of the wind if possible. I use a welding blanket (year round) not sure how the new vents on the new 590 will affect temps as would be difficult to cover rear of smoker.

Attachments

• 20201104_162115.jpg
    20201104_162115.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20201102_120806.jpg
    20201102_120806.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 97
I have the 700 with the RT cold weather blanket. I’m in the Milwaukee, WI area so it gets cold here too. The 700 performes flawlessly in cold with the blanket. Only a slight increase in pellet consumption if any increase at all.

I have owned two other pellet grills, first one was Sams club membermark cheap and worked well, second was pitboss 1159 pro and it would not keep temp bellow 350degr , than got rt590 it is worth the money hands down better than the last two. Pull the trigger you won’t be sorry even if you have to use a blanket when the snow flys.

I love my 590 tried and true. Holds temps great, has never let me down. Chicken, Ribs, Steak, Brisket, Tri-Tip and many more. Makes cooking easy........
Cooking Ribs tomorrow for GameDay, EasyPeasy now!

I have a 590 and am in Wisconsin be county I can relate to your cold concerns. I don't typically go to 500 but more "normal" smoking temps 225-350 are no issue even without a blanket.
The grill sits under an Amazon Veranda cover year round and has been great for 5 years. Temps are stable, wifi is great, and I love the idea that it's stainless. It was my first pellet grill and I'm very happy. If a tree fell on it, I'd order another one the same day.

I purchased a 590 last summer...easily one of the best purchases I have made in the last 5 years. Jump on it, you won't regret it.

The 590 worked great last winter, but I always smoked when it was at least 25-30F as I don't use a blanket. It did take a little bit longer to get up to temp, but once there it held steady like a champ.

Was having a little trouble getting mine up to 500 so i changed my pellet brand and it has been fine since.

I have experienced more like 1/2 hr to get to high temp of 400° or above. Have used in ND winter, it does pretty good. Sure helps to keep out of the wind if possible. I use a welding blanket (year round) not sure how the new vents on the new 590 will affect temps as would be difficult to cover rear of smoker.
@Wslayer - where did you get the blanket? What size is it? I'll definitely be adding that!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back