Trailblazer Looking at buying RT340

Mrchez

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Matador
Currently own gmg Daniel Boone This grill has terrible fluctuations with the temp. Set it at 300 to have inside temps at 225. How effectively does the rt340 hold temps it’s set at. Any other info on the Rec Tec would be helpful.
I am a new member to the group
thanks

Welcome aboard!

I was on the fence in getting a GMG last fall, but got the 340. No regrets at all. I have not run out of space yet in this thing. The biggest selling point for me, was the consistent temperatures the unit held. I did soooo much reading about the two, along with Camp Chef and the RT seemed to have the best overall reviews and feedback on how it maintains pit temp.'s.

The SS build was also a selling point for me too. It is a solid smoker and it takes very little time to heat up, which is a great selling point on its size. The icing on the cake for me was the wifi. Now granted, RT as a whole has some issues with the wifi app, though all and all, it's great.

I would say maybe 10 degree fluctuations at most sometimes, and that's not exaggerating. I can review the graph on the app during a cook and it's pretty much a flat line, with a hiccup every now and then. Some of that might be due to wind, as well.

I was a stick burner before this and noticed that my cooks did take a little longer than expected. However, this was due to the spot on temps of the unit. My stick burner temp.'s would go up and down from time to time and really had an effect on the cooking time. Now that I'm used to it, it's no big deal.

If you end up getting it, you will like it for sure.

I too had a GMG and had the same issues as you did with huge temp fluctuations. I bought a Rec Tec Bull and have never looked back. I can set it at a certain temp and it will maintain that temp for hours within a degree or 2 of difference. Rec Tec definitely makes a quality unit there warranty is great and there customer service is amazing.

Welcome aboard!

I was on the fence in getting a GMG last fall, but got the 340. No regrets at all. I have not run out of space yet in this thing. The biggest selling point for me, was the consistent temperatures the unit held. I did soooo much reading about the two, along with Camp Chef and the RT seemed to have the best overall reviews and feedback on how it maintains pit temp.'s.

The SS build was also a selling point for me too. It is a solid smoker and it takes very little time to heat up, which is a great selling point on its size. The icing on the cake for me was the wifi. Now granted, RT as a whole has some issues with the wifi app, though all and all, it's great.

I would say maybe 10 degree fluctuations at most sometimes, and that's not exaggerating. I can review the graph on the app during a cook and it's pretty much a flat line, with a hiccup every now and then. Some of that might be due to wind, as well.

I was a stick burner before this and noticed that my cooks did take a little longer than expected. However, this was due to the spot on temps of the unit. My stick burner temp.'s would go up and down from time to time and really had an effect on the cooking time. Now that I'm used to it, it's no big deal.

If you end up getting it, you will like it for sure.
Thanks

I too had a GMG and had the same issues as you did with huge temp fluctuations. I bought a Rec Tec Bull and have never looked back. I can set it at a certain temp and it will maintain that temp for hours within a degree or 2 of difference. Rec Tec definitely makes a quality unit there warranty is great and there customer service is amazing.
Thanks

I have a 340 and feel it's a great tool for the $. It holds temps great. I love the durability and SS grates. The size makes it easy to move around. I store mine in the garage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back