Bull Lid up time

rgaddy67

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm not OCD, but I do cook w/ a timer. I know you're supposed to cook to temperature and not time, but I have this question. Whenever you're opening the grill to flip food, check food, etc, do you add that time (lid open time) back to your cook time? I know the grill cools off quickly, but will also recover and compensate accordingly, but I was just wondering? I usually stop my timer, open lid to check my food, close the lid, let grill come back to set point & re-start my timer. Is this correct?

I'm not OCD, but I do cook w/ a timer. I know you're supposed to cook to temperature and not time, but I have this question. Whenever you're opening the grill to flip food, check food, etc, do you add that time (lid open time) back to your cook time? I know the grill cools off quickly, but will also recover and compensate accordingly, but I was just wondering? I usually stop my timer, open lid to check my food, close the lid, let grill come back to set point & re-start my timer. Is this correct?
As they say If your looking your not cooking I have found ignoring my cooks gives me the best results and quicker finish times. A timer will get you into the ballpark on cooks and good probe type thermometer will get the cook to the finish temperature and doneness your looking for. Best advice is start way early and get the cook to the temperature and doneness your looking for and then put it into a warm cooler to keep it warm and sit until its serving time.

Not sure I can help you with this one. I do not use the RT for real high heat cooks that require searing. The highest I go is when cooking chicken wings and split turkey breast so even then I am not opening the lid very often. Most of my cooks are low and slow so the lid stays shut and when there is the need to open, because it is such a long cook not too worried about the pit getting back up to speed.
Master says it all...... if your looking it's not cooking. When you have long cooks, usually means large hunks of meat that need to rest when they are done. As Master says, start early and use the FTC as your friend to keep the meat hot for hours.

I have had to on occasion fill my bull with wings, leg and thighs. I will Sauce and flip them during the cook. I find it is easier to switch it off so that the pot doesn’t fill up and then end up with temp overshoot. Usually that’s the only time I open mine

If your cooking to temp, doesnt matter how much you have lid open.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back