Bull lid seal

Any luck with the gasket? I'm trying to decide if I should do the same thing to mine?
I did a 10lb brisket last week and i did not have any issues with the gasket material in place. The temps stayed stable the whole time, 15hrs! I used the Lava brand (1/2" x 1/8" Lavalock High Temp Nomex BBQ HT gasket smoker seal, self stick grey). The one benefit is keeping the smoke and other crap from staining up around the barrel.

I sealed mine to keep it clean. The stainless drum was turning black about 2" wide along the top edge of the door.

It's been about a year and a half. Never had a problem with temp or air flow. My seal is very tight and there is no smoke leakage. It has kept it clean through proabably a hundred cooks.
Ditto. My temps have remained right on after applying the seal. No black soot on the stainless around the lid is a real positive for me. I notice that the new 590 has what appears to be rainproof venting that seems to have larger volume capacity. So sealing the lid should cause no real restriction of smoke IMO. The more expensive lines of smokers seem to all have sealant around the lid. Of course proper venting has always been an issue with smokers of all kinds. But you find your own setting by trial and error and what works best for you.
PS. If RT wanted to take the time, they could seal their lids and adjust the computer for any discrepancies. I watched a lot of their videos, and they seem to enjoy having their smokers look smoke stained. I think they want you to know that they do a lot of cooking. Kind of a badge of honor among BBQ addicts? Can't really argue against that feeling. I am more OCD about looking neat and clean. Bottom line: It doesn't really matter if you do or don't.

So just to get it out there since I have found out for myself that the seal isn’t effecting anything in a negative way.
95* day
20 had the grill perfect 275+
15 had it perfect 225-275
10 had it from 180-215 perfect
Testing all done for 45-90min each.
3rpm is nice and will get you where you need to be higher fast but to be in lower temps you’ll have to mess around with it a little.

Good line of post. I've had my 340 since April. Cook on it 4, 5, 6 time a week. Out standing eating. Mostly fish, because that's what my wife and I eat. I have grilled and smoked ribs, chicken and burgers using a smoke tube. Now I have smoke stains on the Stainless body and led. I'd love to use a led seal to stop the the venting of smoke around the led. Should have used it when it was new never used. So now I have to clean the smoke and oils off the led edge to give a led seal a chance to stick. What can I use to clean the smoke and oils off?

So just to get it out there since I have found out for myself that the seal isn’t effecting anything in a negative way.
95* day
3rpm is nice and will get you where you need to be higher fast but to be in lower temps you’ll have to mess around with it a little.
Agreed, thanks for reporting back to us. (y)

95* day
Thank you!

Good line of post. I've had my 340 since April. Cook on it 4, 5, 6 time a week. Out standing eating. Mostly fish, because that's what my wife and I eat. I have grilled and smoked ribs, chicken and burgers using a smoke tube. Now I have smoke stains on the Stainless body and led. I'd love to use a led seal to stop the the venting of smoke around the led. Should have used it when it was new never used. So now I have to clean the smoke and oils off the led edge to give a led seal a chance to stick. What can I use to clean the smoke and oils off?
Barkeepers friend works well

Might try something like Simple Green or LA's Awesome as a 1st attempt. I used this Maker Mark oven/grill cleaner but I'd imagine any brand would work if the lighter duty cleaner doesn't work. As I was repainting I used a HD 3m scotch-brite pad along with the cleaner, you might use a non scratching version if the cleaners alone don't do the trick. I'd hit it with alcohol before putting on the gasket.

Might try something like Simple Green or LA's Awesome as a 1st attempt. I used this Maker Mark oven/grill cleaner but I'd imagine any brand would work if the lighter duty cleaner doesn't work. As I was repainting I used a HD 3m scotch-brite pad along with the cleaner, you might use a non scratching version if the cleaners alone don't do the trick. I'd hit it with alcohol before putting on the gasket.
Thanks! I'll try that.

Just a thought, if you need a scrubbie of sorts and don't have anything to use. I use old dryer sheets to clean the bugs off the front of the cars, they do not scratch but fall apart fairly fast.

That would work good on the stainless, but what about the painted led on the 340 for the smoke and oil residue?
LA’s works well, but if you don’t want any “chemicals” inside your grill, rubbing alcohol works.
Lots and lots of alcohol is helpful 😁.

Simple Green makes a BBQ cleaner that works pretty well. Remove the door and clean it off the drum.

Waiting on my bull and was wanting to put a seal on door before I used it.
Talked wit Recteq and they absolutely advised against it. Something about it will eventually mess up the computer temps after using it awhile by restricting the smoke escape through the vent.
Put a seal on my lid 8 mos ago & have no issues. The only issue I have is the freak'n wifi not connecting. It's a pos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back