1250 lid seal

Smokinbutts

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Just a note on people wanting to seal the lids on the recteq. Purchased the lava lock self stick seal, cleaned the grill lid and the lava lock didn’t stick at all, complete junk. Ordered the fire black and put it on today. After cleaning the lid again for another 30 min I had a much better outcome. Had a London broil marinating for a few days and threw it on the 1250 tonight. I run a heavy D smoke diffuser in place of the cast iron stock diffuser. The heavy D produces a lot of smoke and it usually billows out all around the lid. After sealing the lid 90% of the smoke came out of the stack, major improvement! Did a reverse sear on the London broil, smoked till 90 degrees internal temp pulled it, cranked it up to 600 , then pulled it at 135. Let it rest and it came out awesome. Light smoke taste and tender as hell. I’m a believer in the lid seal. If your thinking of doing it take the time to clean the inside edge of the lid. I used a scotch brite pad with isopropyl alcohol, wiped it off and repeated a few times.

Yea, I did the Lava Lock, but pretty much when the grill was brand new, so not a lot of cleaning, and so far sticking really well. No leaks! :cool:

Purchased the lava lock self stick seal, cleaned the grill lid and the lava lock didn’t stick at all, complete junk. Ordered the fire black and put it on today. After cleaning the lid again for another 30 min I had a much better outcome.
What is interesting is that if my research is correct, both the Lava Lock and Fire Black products use the same adhesive, and it is made by Lava Lock. Maybe the Lava Lock material you used first was defective. Or, maybe the second cleaning removed something that the first didn’t.

Both products seem to have a loyal following, so I’m thinking that there was something out of the ordinary at work on the first installation. Glad it worked out for you in the end.

What is interesting is that if my research is correct, both the Lava Lock and Fire Black products use the same adhesive, and it is made by Lava Lock. Maybe the Lava Lock material you used first was defective. Or, maybe the second cleaning removed something that the first didn’t.

Both products seem to have a loyal following, so I’m thinking that there was something out of the ordinary at work on the first installation. Glad it worked out for you in the end.
Your right about the product being made by the same company, when the fire black showed up The packaging looked identical to the lava lock. The only difference is the color.

I've had a LavaLock seal on my 700 for more than a year and a half. Still stuck tight. Not sure they even had the Fire Black when I bought mine.

I also put the LavaLock on my 1250 the day I got it and like others have said, it stuck very well...too well actually. When I was off on the alignment, I had to cut off a section I messed up because it stuck to the grill and then ripped apart when I tried to remove it just seconds after I applied it.

I don't have the instructions now, but I believe it did say to let it adhere for 24 hours before using the grill though.

I did that install in November and no issues so far. I agree with you though, I really like it for the reasons you've said, but also it gives the grill a more 'premium' feel when closing the lid as well.

Just a note on people wanting to seal the lids on the recteq. Purchased the lava lock self stick seal, cleaned the grill lid and the lava lock didn’t stick at all, complete junk. Ordered the fire black and put it on today. After cleaning the lid again for another 30 min I had a much better outcome. Had a London broil marinating for a few days and threw it on the 1250 tonight. I run a heavy D smoke diffuser in place of the cast iron stock diffuser. The heavy D produces a lot of smoke and it usually billows out all around the lid. After sealing the lid 90% of the smoke came out of the stack, major improvement! Did a reverse sear on the London broil, smoked till 90 degrees internal temp pulled it, cranked it up to 600 , then pulled it at 135. Let it rest and it came out awesome. Light smoke taste and tender as hell. I’m a believer in the lid seal. If your thinking of doing it take the time to clean the inside edge of the lid. I used a scotch brite pad with isopropyl alcohol, wiped it off and repeated a few times.

Thanks for the feedback. I've had two long smokes on my 1250, and agree I'm getting to mush smoke around the top of the lid, to the point it is discoloring the pellet box and lid. Did you do a 100% seal of the lid? I was considering doing the top only, possibly the sides.

Also, I presume you applied to the underside of teh lid and not the smoker, correct?

Regards...

Thanks for the feedback. I've had two long smokes on my 1250, and agree I'm getting to mush smoke around the top of the lid, to the point it is discoloring the pellet box and lid. Did you do a 100% seal of the lid? I was considering doing the top only, possibly the sides.

Also, I presume you applied to the underside of teh lid and not the smoker, correct?

Regards...
Do the entire door. Dozens of members have done this. There's no downside.

I put my LavaLock 1/8 x 1/2 seal on the drum side. It's been on there for about 1 1/2 years at least. The up side to putting it on the drum is that the drum can be verified clean easily and the surface is smoother, allowing the seal to stick better. The door has a textured paint that is harder to clean to prep it for the seal. Either way works as long as it's clean.

I love the lava lock gasket. 2nd best mod next to BFG auger on my rt700. It seals 100% visible smoke and I actually somehow imagine it improves the flavor of cooks. At least its easier to clean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back