Bull Leaking a lot of smoke

Hi guys,
I feel that on my rt700 I’m getting lots of smoke leaking around the lid from all sides, what are you grills doing?

Hi guys,
I feel that on my rt700 I’m getting lots of smoke leaking around the lid from all sides, what are you grills doing?
Smoke is going to come out around the lid unless you seal it. You may also see smoke come out via the drip spout. This is normal. Where there is a gap, there will be smoke.

I would only be concerned if it's coming out of the hopper. :oops:

Smoke is going to come out around the lid unless you seal it. You may also see smoke come out via the drip spout. This is normal. Where there is a gap, there will be smoke.

I would only be concerned if it's coming out of the hopper. :oops:
None form the hopper, just leaking a lot around the lid
Thanks

I saw on older posts about sealing the lid - and in some cases the hopper. This has me wondering, is sealing the hopper a wise choice? Might it hide a smoke issue longer, allowing more pellets to ignite???

I saw on older posts about sealing the lid - and in some cases the hopper. This has me wondering, is sealing the hopper a wise choice? Might it hide a smoke issue longer, allowing more pellets to ignite???
I think if you have a “smoke issue,” you will know it regardless of whether the smoke chamber door has been “sealed.” Remember, the so-called “sealing” is just the application of some high-temp weatherstripping; it really doesn’t “seal” the chamber. If you have a “smoke issue,” it will be apparent. YMMV

I sealed mine to force the smoke to come out of the stack, cut down on drafts, and cut down on the drips down the front.

But you don't need to seal it. Personal choice.

I sealed my lid and as it turns out I also sealed my hopper lid (because I had leftover tape and I liked the "soft close" of the pit lid). I have had one minor back burn because I turned off at higher heat after my first pizza cook.

I can assure you that if you're experiencing a back burn, all of the sealing in the world won't prevent you from noticing. The incomplete combustion of smoldering pellets in the auger throws off a ton of nasty smoke and it was very clear that I had an issue. I just ran test mode to advance the auger and my problem was solved.

This is a post I made 2 years ago. All the upgrades are still in place and working. We use our Bull every week and the sealed smoke chamber works great. There are other upgrades that might interest you, bigger wheels, upgraded auger, removable power cord, front table. All can be found on the forum.

I am also new to the RECTEC 700, and after much research to buy my first pellet burner I chose the 700 for the stainless steel, powder coat exterior and warranty among many other features and reviews. I was not very pleased during the first cook to see excessive smoke coming from around the door and from the door emblem. We sealed the emblem by removing it and filling the attachment holes with RTV sealant but the door did not have an even seal on the smoker around the edge where the door meets the smoker. I had a stainless steel shop cut two lengths of high grade stainless 1/16” x 1 1/4” x 15 1/8”, gently bent them to shape of the smoker, and attached them to the inner sides of the smoker as shown in the picture. Then added the high temp sealing tape shown below. I also sealed around the base of the chimney and the port where the wires are routed through the smoke chamber to the controller.

1594748999841.jpeg

1594749070629.jpeg

You can use RTV sealant or JB Weld Cold Formula which is great for metal to metal bonds. Use a lot of small clamps such as these:
1594749792944.jpeg

I used 5 clamps and did one side at a time. You can get the clamps from Ace Hardware who also carries the JB Weld epoxy glue. Be prepared to allow the glue to dry enough to remove one clamp and give you a chance to clean the excess glue off with lacquer thinner, replace the clamp and remove another until the excess glue is removed. Let dry over night with the clamps installed.

Attach the sealing tape to the inside of the lid. I used this BBQ/Smoker High Temp Tape from Amazon and it has worked excellent.
1594750446454.png

Notice that the tape is inset on the sides of the smoker lid to make contact with the new Stainless Sides that were installed first.
1594750678086.jpeg

1594750741263.jpeg

The Smoker does not leak after these modifications and external cleanup after a long 14 hr brisket cook was a simple wipe down. No external smoke or grease marks were found.

+1 on sealing lid.

From your post I am
Hi guys,
+1 on sealing the lid.

I sealed my RT590 before I ever fired it up. From your post it sounds as if you have been using it already and see grease and smoke coming out. You can seal the lid by will need to degrease the surfaces where the Lavalock (or similar) gasket will be attached. Otherwise the glue on the back of the strip will not adhere.

A strong solution of Dawn and a stiff bristle brush(not metal) followed by a microfiber cloth scrub should do the job. There are some oven cleaners that might be used as the nuclear option.

I have also found that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges works great to get surfaces ready for Lavalock (degrease and remove smoke buildup).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back