Stampede Question about 590 recteq cover leaking

damianek

i bought a 590 recteq coer with my grill. After few weeks of using it i noticed that when it rains my grill is all wet under cover. Any of you guys see this problem. I thought that this cover was going to protect it from rain. i just don't want my grill to rust its always outside on my balcony. Any input will be appreciated.

Go to Cabela's (or Amazon) and buy the waterproofing spray. Search for "seam sealer" or "waterproofing" or something like that. I used to use it on my tents. Yes they let in water; yours is no more defective than anyone else's recteq cover.

From the any covers I've gone thru over the years none of them are truly waterproof. Living in New England mine get condensation, and after a year or so rain gets through. I keep using them though, keeps most of the rain off and keeps them clean. On average I get about 2 years out of one. A blue tarp would probably work as well. I also don't notice much improvement in the condensation issue using a "vented" cover.

YMMV, depending on where you live.

My grills live out in the elements.

I got a cover for my Weber gaser 9 years ago and it's still going strong with plenty of life left in it. My grill stays dry under the cover and was stored outside in the sun on my deck in Maryland, you get what you pay for. Get one from Mel made out of extremely thick vinyl made here in the USA. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer. Once the free one I have on the 590 bites the dust, I'm ordering one from Mel for it. I don't have a better pic, but it's the tan one behind the 590 in grey. The grills don't usually sit under the gazebo (unless I get caught grilling in the rain) , they sit outside of it out in the weather.

http://www.vinylcoveringsbymel.com/index.html

IMG_3261.JPG

I went to Home Depot and picked up a couple generic covers. One large one is just what I needed for my 590. Goes on easily and is very heavy material. The other one is a small and does the job for my two burner gas grill. I think these are the best covers I’ve ever had, and I’ve paid way too much for brand-name covers in the past. Never again.

I got a cover for my Weber gaser 9 years ago and it's still going strong with plenty of life left in it. My grill stays dry under the cover and was stored outside in the sun on my deck in Maryland, you get what you pay for. Get one from Mel made out of extremely thick vinyl made here in the USA. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer. Once the free one I have on the 590 bites the dust, I'm ordering one from Mel for it. I don't have a better pic, but it's the tan one behind the 590 in grey. The grills don't usually sit under the gazebo (unless I get caught grilling in the rain) , they sit outside of it out in the weather.

http://www.vinylcoveringsbymel.com/index.html

View attachment 17330
That's a gorgeous deck!

From the any covers I've gone thru over the years none of them are truly waterproof. Living in New England mine get condensation, and after a year or so rain gets through. I keep using them though, keeps most of the rain off and keeps them clean. On average I get about 2 years out of one. A blue tarp would probably work as well. I also don't notice much improvement in the condensation issue using a "vented" cover.

YMMV, depending on where you live.

My grills live out in the elements.
Prolly true, but the cover that came with my Vision Grills ceramic egg smoker is rock solid. Heavy duty and has been keeping out rain for about 6 years in Georgia. Has been through some gully washers and the grill stays dry as can be. Has never had any sealer treatment applied either.
Most grill covers these days just aren’t made with thick enough material it seems.
When mine arrives with my new 590, I will be spraying seam sealer on it before using.

Ok, what’s the solar capacity? If they covered my whole house I still come up short. I need 15k, so solar puts me in a bigger hole than staying with regular power. Just wondering.

Ok, what’s the solar capacity? If they covered my whole house I still come up short. I need 15k, so solar puts me in a bigger hole than staying with regular power. Just wondering.
It can definitely run my grill, lol. Seriously though, it's a 12 year old system so not the latest efficiency panels @8kw for the system. It was completely paid off with tax credits and power savinigs by year 4. I do have hybrid heatpump systems where the gas furnace kicks below 35F outside temp. I have zero electric bills, it actually makes too much power so I get a check from the power company every spring for ~$120 for excess power.

If you need 15k, that's alot of juice, not sure what you're running or how big your house is and I'm sure you know this, but the capacity of the system should be the average year round consumption, not max on the worst day.

We had solar people here, they basically told us not to do it because there would be no savings. Hot tub and sauna are the likely culprits.

We had solar people here, they basically told us not to do it because there would be no savings. Hot tub and sauna are the likely culprits.
That's really strange the solar people say that. Do you not get enough sun where you live or is your roof not facing a optimal orientation?
After my system paid for itself at year 4, I've saved well over $28,000 between no electrical bills and the annual SREC checks so not sure why they'd say there would be no savings for you?

That's really strange the solar people say that. Do you not get enough sun where you live or is your roof not facing a optimal orientation?
After my system paid for itself at year 4, I've saved well over $28,000 between no electrical bills and the annual SREC checks so not sure why they'd say there would be no savings for you?
Chicagoland - perfect southern exposure. I think 10k is the best scenario out here. So I’d still be in a hole every month between paying for panels plus paying for the power deficit.
I tried, don’t have to wonder. It’s not for us. High end gaming computers and A/C eat up a lot too.

Chicagoland - perfect southern exposure. I think 10k is the best scenario out here. So I’d still be in a hole every month between paying for panels plus paying for the power deficit.
I tried, don’t have to wonder. It’s not for us. High end gaming computers and A/C eat up a lot too.
Solar panels only make sense if you plan to stay in your house long enough for them to pay for themselves and as stay for several more years after that to see the savings on your electrical bill. It's simple math, even if they only cover 50% of your power, once they pay for themselves, you'll save 50% on your electric bill so it seems your logic is flawed that you think you'll be in the hole :unsure:
Anyway, this discussion is too far off topic therefor, I'm done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back