Stampede Just purchased a 590!

I just purchased a 590 and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Any advice or tips for a beginner? How long did everyone wait to get theirs in? I'll be posting some good pictures of cooks I have planned. Cheers everyone
Congrats! you will love it! In the advice department, I would say this. At first, I wanted to smoke everything I cooked on it (225 degrees or less). That was a mistake the grill is so versatile That you can cook on it the same as would an oven or an open-flame grill. Also, if you have not yet, I would invest in Grill Grates a must for hamburgers and steak. You can get them on the Re-Teq site for a good price. Have fun

I just purchased a 590 and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Any advice or tips for a beginner? How long did everyone wait to get theirs in? I'll be posting some good pictures of cooks I have planned. Cheers everyone
I love my 590! Holds set temperature great and the food tastes awesome. Starting a brisket tonight for my son’s BD party tomorrow. Internet and YouTube have good recipes for pellet smokers. Also How to BBQ Right by Malcom Reed is a great app to have. Enjoy

Congratulations. The 590 is great and have not had any issues with not being able to get enough meat on it. Though the small optional rack has come in handy when fitting some extra jerky or vegies in it for a smoke. In the beginning I had a bit of envy for the Bull owners but that has gone away. If you really like the big smoke flavor, I recommend getting a smoke tube. Basically just a stainless steel tube made of mesh to hold extra pellets and place on the grill. Works like magic and also allows for cold smoking of nuts and cheeses and such. I really enjoy reading all the modifications that the creative Recteq addicts have come up with. I have not done any of them in my 1st year with the smoker. Happy times ahead. I also agree with the grill grates, much added optionality to your cooking.

590 arrived this afternoon. Will assemble and burn in on Saturday. Any recommendations for first cook? Wife doesn't like dark chicken meat.

Have three suggestions:
1 Print a copy of the users manual if it is not sent with the pit.
2 Caulk the rivet holes inside where the end caps are attached to the barrel. Use high heat silicone sealant. (red or gray). They caulked the seams inside but grease can leak out of those holes the rivet come thru.
3 Try to cook on level ground, or else your drippings may not hit the drip pan. If they don't, they will end up down below and can cause grease fires.
Enjoy!
I just had rib juice leak through where the hopper housing meets the smoker body. Is this what you're talking about?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back