An interesting Video from Jeremy Yoder .... taste test .... smoking a 40 Day Wet Aged vs a "just purchased" Brisket

I’ve not done it, and probably will not! Space in my refrigerated units is at a premium, as I experienced earlier this week when we were out of electricity for two days! So I’m not going to donate space to a brisket in my refrigerator for 40 days! As as another point, (pardon the pun and while risking the revoking of my BBQ card here), I’m really not that big of a brisket fan. Having said that. I do have two briskets in the freezer now, but my faves for BBQ are probably plate ribs, pork ribs, tri-tip/pichana, and pulled pork in that order. I just find brisket so overwhelming with the richness/flavor, and I’ve had my fill long before I’m full, if that makes any sense?

I’ve not done it, and probably will not! Space in my refrigerated units is at a premium, as I experienced earlier this week when we were out of electricity for two days! So I’m not going to donate space to a brisket in my refrigerator for 40 days! As as another point, (pardon the pun and at risking the revoking of my BBQ card here), I’m really not that big of a brisket fan. Having said that. I do have two briskets in the freezer now, but my faves for BBQ are probably plate ribs, pork ribs, tri-tip/pichana, and pulled pork in that order. I just find brisket so overwhelming with the richness/flavor, and I’ve had my fill long before I’m full, if that makes any sense?
What is plate ribs?

Not sure Jeremy (the Mad Scientist) has any affiliation with Yoder Grills
He may have used one in a past Video or two
Hey Greg, what's your knowledge of this ?
I’ve met Jeremy, he used/may still live here in Kentucky (not sure that’s still the case), but to my knowledge he has never had any connection with the Yoder smoker folks. I’ve also never know him to own a Yoder smoker. The closest he and I have had to owning a grill in common is we both have a PK Grills AF300.

What's your guess to which is better ?
Has anyone here tried this ?

Definitely an interesting video! I have tried a more limited wet-aging, but certainly not 40 days. Mine was more in the 10-14 days range.

This might require a larger fridge than I was originally planning for the outdoor kitchen. :unsure: And, it would free up a little freezer space.(y)

I’ve met Jeremy, he used/may still live here in Kentucky (not sure that’s still the case), but to my knowledge he has never had any connection with the Yoder smoker folks. I’ve also never know him to own a Yoder smoker. The closest he and I have had to owning a grill in common is we both have a PK Grills AF300.
Thanks Greg
I believe Jeremy's still in Kentucky
He did smoke on a Yoder in one of His Videos, but I see it wasn't His

Thanks Greg
I believe Jeremy's still in Kentucky
He did smoke on a Yoder in one of His Videos, but I see it wasn't His
I haven’t seen that yet, will take a look tomorrow, Jeremy (and other gracious hosts) did a charity event on a horse farm in Shelbyville, KY last summer that the wife and I attended for ‘Angeles Amongst Us”. In case anyone who watches his (Jeremy’s) social media content and says, he’s not the real deal… Trust me, he’s the real deal! He donated his time for a BBQ for an event that was 100% because he is a stand-up guy.

I’ve not done it, and probably will not! Space in my refrigerated units is at a premium, as I experienced earlier this week when we were out of electricity for two days! So I’m not going to donate space to a brisket in my refrigerator for 40 days! As as another point, (pardon the pun and while risking the revoking of my BBQ card here), I’m really not that big of a brisket fan. Having said that. I do have two briskets in the freezer now, but my faves for BBQ are probably plate ribs, pork ribs, tri-tip/pichana, and pulled pork in that order. I just find brisket so overwhelming with the richness/flavor, and I’ve had my fill long before I’m full, if that makes any sense?

Agree to all you said, and why I prefer doing chuck roasts over brisket.

Yup, and I live in the state with the largest Amish and Mennonite population in the country.......lot's of Yoder and Millers. LOL
I’ve got some good friends that live in Millersburg and Sugarcreek. I used to shoot ATA trap at the Great Eastern Gun Club, which was just south of Trail, OH. There are a few Beechy’s and Hostetler’s there too!

Great thread and discussion. I put a 30 day wet aged Brisket Flat on this morning at around 09:15hrs. I did full smoke (~180F) for the first 30 minutes, changed the temp to 250F and let it ride. I’m 7 hours into it and will provide an update when I clear the stall. (FYI, I injected so it may take a while.). I am hopeful that I can offer my opinions since I have done many Briskets over the years on my Bull and this is the first “wet aged” I have tried.

IMG_1253.jpeg

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1237.jpeg

All right smokers and cookers. I have to say the brisket came out fantastic! I wouldn’t have believed brisket could sit in its own juices for that long and not mold, turn rancid or degrade, but I couldn’t tell any patent defects existed other than a stronger beef smell for the ingredients. I will have to put in a disclaimer that YMMV but my process is detailed below:
I started with a choice brisket purchased from Costco on 02/02/23. This brisket was still in the original cryo-packaging unaltered and never opened. I checked it thoroughly to make sure I didn’t detect any voids or that it did not have any areas where the sealing process trapped any visible proteins when it was heat sealed. I also ”washed the packaging to make sure any store based contamination risks could be mitigated. I put the brisket in the freezer to ensure any active yucky stuff would also be killed by the freezing. I then removed the brisket from the freezer on May 20th and placed it a refrigerator laying it flat to ensure equal distribution of the juices. (Note: The days count is approximated as it did take a couple for the transition from frozen to thawed.) (I did however, over the next ~30 days flip the brisket flat periodically but did the final flip in a manner that kept the top (meat, non-fat cap) side immersed in the fluids, upside down for reference.) I removed the protein on July 1st, trimmed it, dry seasoned it (50P-25S-25G with a decent dusting of smoked Cayenne) and returned it to the fridge for approximately 24 hours under a lightly tented parchment paper cover. I removed the brisket from the fridge and placed it on a counter in the morning of the cook so the temperature could get closer to ambient before placing it on the Bull. Prior to putting it on the bull I used my ”secret sauce” injection mix to pump up the brisket to prevent premature drying since this was only the flat and my experience with choice grade shows there isn’t enough interconenctive tissues and marbling to sustain the longer cook times. I then put it on at low, maximum smoke (~180F) mode, for 30 minutes. I then moved the temp up to 250F and let the good times roll. Once smoking, I did open the chamber 3 times to spritz the beast with a combo secret injection, apple juice and water. The cook took ~7 hours to clear the stall at about 165F, then I painted the peach paper with beef tallow, wrapped the brisket and put it back on the smoker until it hit and internal temperature of 191-195F depending on where you measured the temps. I removed the brisket, then rested it for 3 hours in the existing peach paper wrapped in saran wrap to capture all the heat, then wrapped in a towel. (Note: The plastic wrap will change the bark slightly but at that point, the peach paper is so saturated that I can’t tell if it really does any harm.)

I apologize in advance if I omitted some of the details as this post is getting quite long. I also purposely left off cooking times as each protein will be on its own path and if you are cooking exclusively based on times I provide, you may miss the best opportunity for success. (Remember how many ribs have been destroyed using the 3-2-1 method, lol?). Let me know if you need any additional details.

I started this message to announce my happiness with the ~30 day wet aging but got a little carried away and probably missed the “runway” on my approach for landing.
Enjoy your cook!

While I was watching the Yoder video that DenStinette put up I was thinking, what a waste of good beef. Why doesn't he try dry aged beef? Imagine my disappointment when later in the video he mentions it and brushes It off. Perhaps it's because I was born in Nebraska where we take pride in our beef. If you could afford it in those days long since gone by you always had your beef aged at least 30 days. Not in a cellophane bag in your refrigerator but hanging beef in a controlled environment. There is mold, as a matter of fact you will lose up to 30% of the steers weight while it is hanging and after it's scraped for butchering. I strongly suspect that is why they have gone to wet aging, which method really is kind of disgusting to me as I think about it. I know that Ruth's Chris has gone to what aging but I am pretty sure, not certain, but pretty sure in days gone by they dry aged their beef. The flavor is different, and if you've not had it before, you might not care for it to begin with. Anyhow, that's my take on this video. And as someone above said, at the risk of losing my smoking certification, I'm not a fan of brisket anyway. Oh yes, we could have a whole separate talk on this wonderful finishing method currently in vogue, grass finished. You know, if you don't want to do it right for economic reasons, then you brag up your cheap method of so doing. Nuff said on that for now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back