Just a dumb story...

Pacman

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I decided I wanted pastrami sandwiches tonight.. Fortunately, I still had a pre-corned brisket flat and I actually thought about this on Tuesday. Brisket defrosted and de-salinated for a day. So far I'm on a roll.

Seasoned with the rub yesterday afternoon and put on the smoker at around 9pm last night. Instant discovery. Recteq notifications work perfectly on a Thursday night, but I didn't care.

Cooked at 225 most of the night until, low and behold, I did in fact get a Recteq notification at 4:30am that my grill was cooling down to like 170. Oh crap! I forgot to check the hopper for enough pellets. Yup, the hopper is as empty as the day I built my grill, exclusive of a little dust.

I stumble into the garage to grab more pellets. What's on top? The dreaded Knotty Wood almond. How did that end up on top of all of my buckets? (Actually I know as I was making room in the garage to assemble my new Blackstone...which remains half built). Ok fine, grab what's on top and throw some pellets into the hopper.

Got things going again by about 4:45am. The Recteq comes immediately comes to life and rockets past 300 degrees. I know it will calm down so I don't care. I figure I've got another 30 minutes before I have to get up. Oversight #2 of this cook. My Thermoworks alarm at the stall to wrap starts chirping...not 10 minutes after going back to bed. Got up again, wrapped, and my blissful night sleep is now officially over.

In the end, I think I had a successful cook. I'll know in a couple hours. Even though last night was a bumpy ride this morning despite my best laid plans, I actually reflected back to my old stick burner where I had to tend to it every hour or so. So I got woken up a half hour early today. That's a walk in the park for what ended up being a 14 hour cook.

Not the worst, but not the best. I cut back on the amount of pickling spices I included in my original cure and I regret it. Meathead from AmazingRibs.com says to add the pickling spices "if you must," to the brine. I now know that for my family's palette, "You must...100 percent." This time I did wrap around the stall and I do agree that his new "Texas crutch" technique is now my new technique for pastrami.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 77

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back