Jerk Chicken with Pimentowood

Rectechie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Chicken Drumsticks marinated with Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning. Used a small amount of Pimentowood pellets in the SKOO smoker tube.
Recteq Ulimate Blend in the hopper. 375 for 50 minutes until 180 internal temp.
I have smoked jerk chicken on the 590 before but the Pimentowood gives it an authentic Jerk flavor and color.
You do not need full tube of Pimentowood pellets, a little goes a long way.
Pimentowood.com is my source for all jerk seasonings and wood.

Attachments

• 1E08BEC9-E675-498F-9EC3-1910E7227F07.jpeg
    1E08BEC9-E675-498F-9EC3-1910E7227F07.jpeg
    779.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 54C6FEA9-2874-409B-9AD0-05627A70BA36.jpeg
    54C6FEA9-2874-409B-9AD0-05627A70BA36.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 85
  • 5CF8D087-F45E-4AD3-8684-581D02AB4D73.jpeg
    5CF8D087-F45E-4AD3-8684-581D02AB4D73.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 103
That looks great, does the Pimentowood make that much of a difference? I looked it up and it is pricey!
I do love jerk chicken

Thanks, it does make a difference if you want an authentic jerk flavor. The pellets are expensive however Pimentowood only exists in Jamaica so it is difficult to source. You can also use chips or flakes. I have not tried them on the tube but may experiment with them as well. The 20lb bag of pellets is very expensive however you only need a very small amount in the tube so it should last a long time.

Thanks, it does make a difference if you want an authentic jerk flavor. The pellets are expensive however Pimentowood only exists in Jamaica so it is difficult to source. You can also use chips or flakes. I have not tried them on the tube but may experiment with them as well. The 20lb bag of pellets is very expensive however you only need a very small amount in the tube so it should last a long time.
I do the same thing with royal oak charcoal pellets. I've tried them in the hopper but due to price, I just use them on longer smokes with wood chips in my pellet tube with pellets also.

I have looked up those pellets before but yeah, if you just use in the smoke tube, one bag should last a long time.

My friend/co-worker from Trinidad said the pimento wood was a key ingredient in jerk meats. He also said that it didn't have to be hot to be authentic. He didn't think some of the commercial spices he had bought were authentic or at least didn't remind him of what he had growing up. We looked into pimento a couple years ago and we were shocked at the cost.

Walkerswood and Spur Tree are both made in Jamaica. Having been to Jamaica several times both remind me of the Jerk flavors. The degree of heat is more of a personal preference. But Pimemtowood is a key ingredient.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back