Bull Internet connection through internet filter failing

I agree that the issue is caused by the internet filter but I just need to know what the recteq app needs to have opened to access the servers. I can then adjust the filter as needed.
I imagine if you knew the recteq server address you could allow it through the filter yourself.

Perhaps a call to Recteq support can help you get it sorted, but I’m thinking they won’t release that info.

If your filter can use the grills MAC address, you might be able to do it that way.

What are you using as the filter? Product name

Looks like your app is a Zero trust platfo. Unless they publish and authorize an address it looks like you have to disable it when you want to use the grill. I looking deeper into the settings but it's main objective is security at the expense of all else.

That looks corporate to me, I would be a bit surprised if you could edit the client to allow traffic anyway.
Go with the filter off/ filter on approach. Or get a fantastic deal on a wireless thermometer on Amazon. ;)

I think you may be identifying several problems. I would turn the VPN on, try going to the RecTeq site with it on, see if it to see if it works. Turn it off and if yes, take a screen shot of the IP address and try to see if your VPN provider can assign a static IP that you can reserve. Also, when on the site, try to find out what the IP address is for the servers they use to manage grill data services. If they tell you (cross your fingers) write it down and do a trace route on that address to see if it resolves properly. If it doesn’t look at the “hops” and try to figure out where the transmission breaks down. You should be able to see if it makes it through your VPN and your filter. Once tested, never let it go or change your location as each country has its own series of IP address it can assign. Just for grins and giggles, go to a site that restricts access by VPN like OfferUp.com and see if it resolves properly with each method above.

The next item is the “filter”. If you mean something like Net-Nanny, Web Titan or even AT&T, you may need to disable it (as you stated earlier) or find out if there is a port you can open that will let the traffic pass.

Just a couple of quick thoughts but let us know what you find out.

Cheers.

One last solution is to add a guest network to your wifi router and try connecting that way. If set up properly, it may bypass your filter (not the VPN) and give you success.

Last edited:
I was able to get it to work by figuring out which URL the app was going to. Using Fiddler, I followed the directions on their website to capture my iPhone traffic (https://www.telerik.com/blogs/how-to-capture-ios-traffic-with-fiddler). I then was able to unblock the traffic on my Zscaler internet filter. The domain that needed to be unblocked was a1.tuyaus.com.

Thanks to all of you for your input!! I consider the issue resolved!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back