charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Should you line drip pan with foil before initial setup burn in procedure? I know the manual has it as a tip in the initial setup procedure but I would think you should leave it off to burn off the residue from the drip pan. After cool down then line the drip pan with foil and cook away.

Should you line drip pan with foil before initial setup burn in procedure? I know the manual has it as a tip in the initial setup procedure but I would think you should leave it off to burn off the residue from the drip pan. After cool down then line the drip pan with foil and cook away.
Not sure the the "professional answer" is, but I chose NOT to line the drip pan during my burn in on the Trailblazer. I do change them out for every cook, that might be over kill, but it meets my OCD needs....<grin> Besides, I'm getting pretty good at it now......practice, practice, practice......

No need for foil on the initial burn. It is a huge help when cooking, as clean up is easy. Also be sure to toss a glass jar in your drip bucket. That was a perfect grease catcher on my 11 hour brisket cook last weekend.

No need for foil on the initial burn. It is a huge help when cooking, as clean up is easy. Also be sure to toss a glass jar in your drip bucket. That was a perfect grease catcher on my 11 hour brisket cook last weekend.
Thanks @Beach Bum. I am going to use bucket liner and jar.

No need to foil for the burn-in, but I would do it after for cooking. Some choose not to and that's alright. I actually took some advice from another member and now do a regular wrap, and then lay another sheet on top of it - which I can remove and replace more easily. Then every once in a while I replace the whole thing.

As for the bucket, I make a liner with a couple of sheets of foil. Some folks buy bucket liners but I don't see a need. Just turn over the empty bucket and use it as a form to make your own. I also use an empty large yogurt container, which fits really well. Fill it up, chuck the container and foil and start over.

What I'm about to say is contradicted by the behavior of hundreds of people each month who are breaking in a new cooker (regardless of manufacturer) and who suffer no ill effects. That being said, read and think.

The premise of the "burn in" is to vaporize and remove through heat/fire any residue chemicals that remain on the equipment as a result of the manufacturing and subsequent handling/shipping process. Presumably the high heat/longish time burn off the offending potential chemical residue. Probably does if at a high enough temp and long enough time. But as you read how some do or suggest it be done they will often recommend laying on a film of some cooking oil to "season" the cooker all in a one step process. So think about that. If there are some form of offensive processing contaminant on the surface of the equipment, you just encapsulated it in an oil that you are trying to convert to a coating, thus entrapping the supposed contaminant under that film.............maybe. You will often see video of folks doing the initial "seasoning" oil coating with a Pam like product. How thorough do you imagine they are with that film. Most I see maybe get 50% coverage from their quick, erratic spray pattern. Laying on a sheet of foil may not be as encapsulating as a cooked oil film, but it may also retard the "evaporation" of the contaminants.

Personally I do two burn ins, one to clean, one to lube (season), but that's just me. Those other hundreds I refer to probably don't actually suffer any negative consequences of their sloppy/short cut behavior. But, what can it hurt to be a bit more thorough if you really think you're "cleaning" the device?

What I'm about to say is contradicted by the behavior of hundreds of people each month who are breaking in a new cooker (regardless of manufacturer) and who suffer no ill effects. That being said, read and think.

The premise of the "burn in" is to vaporize and remove through heat/fire any residue chemicals that remain on the equipment as a result of the manufacturing and subsequent handling/shipping process. Presumably the high heat/longish time burn off the offending potential chemical residue. Probably does if at a high enough temp and long enough time. But as you read how some do or suggest it be done they will often recommend laying on a film of some cooking oil to "season" the cooker all in a one step process. So think about that. If there are some form of offensive processing contaminant on the surface of the equipment, you just encapsulated it in an oil that you are trying to convert to a coating, thus entrapping the supposed contaminant under that film.............maybe. You will often see video of folks doing the initial "seasoning" oil coating with a Pam like product. How thorough do you imagine they are with that film. Most I see maybe get 50% coverage from their quick, erratic spray pattern. Laying on a sheet of foil may not be as encapsulating as a cooked oil film, but it may also retard the "evaporation" of the contaminants.

Personally I do two burn ins, one to clean, one to lube (season), but that's just me. Those other hundreds I refer to probably don't actually suffer any negative consequences of their sloppy/short cut behavior. But, what can it hurt to be a bit more thorough if you really think you're "cleaning" the device?
I have a stainless steel charcoal grill that I got back in 2007. I coated with a paint brush the complete inside with some kind of cooking oil. That damn grill still leaks oil to this day. I think I am going to do the RT normal initial setup burn in procedure and then grill some chicken thighs and let that grease coat the inside grill. I am no pro but I think seasoning is more for bare non stainless steel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrzBBQ
Back