Increasing Temps during cooking

manderpsi

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just got my 590 last week and have a question about raising the temp of the grill in the middle of the cooking. If you are cooking at 225 and want to crank it up to 400, do you leave the meat on the grill while the temp rises or do you pull the meat off the grill until it reaches the higher temp?

For me it depends. If I’m just trying to speed the cook then I leave it on. If I’m going to do a seer then I take it off and wait until it’s HOT. I usually seer on the gasser but have done a few on the 700 when I’m too lazy to pull the cover off the gasser.

I just did a similar cook, left the meat in the grill....pork shoulder, raised incrementally from 265 to 320-ish over the course of roughly 8.5-9 hours in order to speed the cook (foil wrap at roughly 5 hour mark, though internal temp only at 125). Had started with a partially frozen-in-the-middle pork shoulder. Turned out pretty good for my first attempt.

Last edited:
I often raise the temp during a cook. Just leave the meat in and make the adjustment.

Only time I take it out is if I don't want it overcooked before searing, (ex. Steaks). Pull at 120° IT, crank grill , when up to temp, steaks on. Put sear plates in right away while cooking so get to temp quicker.

Like stated above, I'll usually increase an hour or so after I wrap and I leave it in. If I was increasing to sear, I'd definitely take the meat out so it doesn't overcook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back