Bull I’m guessing an issue with computer/rtd

Sounds like one Of us need to call and ask them.

I didn't see anything in the manual about default settings.

Edit:. NM...30 is the default For auger speed.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ve already checked but is your RTD leaning towards the wall of the grill. Occasionally there is a leaner which gives a false reading to the RTD. Just grasping for a solution.

1624639283687.png

The newer manual states something different. (The one on the website).

1624659887160.png

I assume the older controller is 65, and the new one, with the antenna, is 30. This is from the manual that shows an antenna on the controller on the cover.

Last edited:
Not sure if the mods can load this one up somewhere. I know there is a thread where someone linked the OLD manual. Might help new folks if there was something to differentiate what manual to use.

To OP....I used the older manual to suggest you bump to 65. If yours has an antenna, you might want to go back to 30. (The one attached is the one currently on the RecTeq site, shows the antenna on the controller).

Attachments

• RT-700ManualFeb23.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 76
Not sure if the mods can load this one up somewhere. I know there is a thread where someone linked the OLD manual. Might help new folks if there was something to differentiate what manual to use.

To OP....I used the older manual to suggest you bump to 65. If yours has an antenna, you might want to go back to 30. (The one attached is the one currently on the RecTeq site, shows the antenna on the controller).
When i spoke to them the other day they asked me what it was set to and told them 65 and he said good that’s what it should be.
So idk if it coming as 30 is a mistake or what but was told that 65 is correct

I’m sure you’ve already checked but is your RTD leaning towards the wall of the grill. Occasionally there is a leaner which gives a false reading to the RTD. Just grasping for a solution.
I am going to check that as soon as i can. If i remember right it was fine but won’t hurt to double check it

When i spoke to them the other day they asked me what it was set to and told them 65 and he said good that’s what it should be.
So idk if it coming as 30 is a mistake or what but was told that 65 is correct
Interesting. I can state mine is set to 30 out of the box.

My understanding is we want it as low as possible without it flaming out. I had no issues, other than the temp was 5-6% lower than my good thermos were reading.

I emailed recteq this morning about the AUG setting. This was the response:

"Thank you for reaching out. The default setting is 30 now. It used to be 65 but, after further use and research, we found that 30 is the best setting for the grill."

Strange that we are getting different answers, but as long as the Bull is cooking great tasting food and the temps are accurate...doesn't really matter.

"Thank you for reaching out. The default setting is 30 now. It used to be 65 but, after further use and research, we found that 30 is the best setting for the grill."

Strange that we are getting different answers, but as long as the Bull is cooking great tasting food and the temps are accurate...doesn't really matter.
As mentioned I've seen both.

Yea that is odd. I mean i guess if all the newest ones are coming set at that than maybe it’ll be best to leave it there. Going to get some ribs on tomorrow so ill switch back to 30 just see how it that goes.
i know smoking in general is too but seems like the grill is alot off trial and error

So, here's what I did.

I put my iGrill2 ambient probe directly in the middle of the grill (I know this to be a very accurate device through testing at boiling, freezing, etc. Weber claims it's accurate within +/-1 degree. Via testing, that seems to be a pretty valid claim). I also placed my oven thermometer right next to it. NOTE: I used an ambient probe, not a meat probe. I also left the AUG setting at 30.

I burned in the grill yesterday at 400. Both the iGrill and Oven thermo's were reading 377. 377/400 = 5.75%

Today, I set the grill at 250 using the same thermo setup and they were reading 234 or so. 234/250= 6.4%

Because the Bull is reading higher, I made the adjustment in negative.

I adjusted the offset at -6 and let it run a while. I was at 250 on the Bull, and the thermo's were showing 246. Pretty close. I then changed the offset to -7, and let it run....temps were at 254 on the known good devices. Bull still at 250.

I decided I would rather have the temps a few points higher than set rather than a few degrees lower. Really, either one works and both are close enough not be be a concern, but just a personal preference to be slightly higher.

I am now pretty confident that my temps will be more than accurate enough for whatever I am cooking. I'll be doing some jerk chicken thighs later today, and really break this thing in. Then tomorrow, I have some nice ribeyes and going to run through the searing process. I already have some grill grates I used on my Traeger, and they will fit just fine in the Bull.

Last edited:
So, here's what I did.

I put my iGrill2 ambient probe directly in the middle of the grill (I know this to be a very accurate device through testing at boiling, freezing, etc. Weber claims it's accurate within +/-1 degree. Via testing, that seems to be a pretty valid claim). I also placed my oven thermometer right next to it. NOTE: I used an ambient probe, not a meat probe. I also left the AUG setting at 30.

I burned in the grill yesterday at 400. Both the iGrill and Oven thermo's were reading 377. 377/400 = 5.75%

Today, I set the grill at 250 using the same thermo setup and they were reading 234 or so. 234/250= 6.4%

Because the Bull is reading higher, I made the adjustment in negative.

I adjusted the offset at -6 and let it run a while. I was at 250 on the Bull, and the thermo's were showing 246. Pretty close. I then changed the offset to -7, and let it run....temps were at 254 on the known good devices. Bull still at 250.

I decided I would rather have the temps a few points higher than set rather than a few degrees lower. Really, either one works and both are close enough not be be a concern, but just a personal preference to be slightly higher.

I am now pretty confident that my temps will be more than accurate enough for whatever I am cooking. I'll be doing some jerk chicken thighs later today, and really break this thing in. Then tomorrow, I have some nice ribeyes and going to run through the searing process. I already have some grill grates I used on my Traeger, and they will fit just fine in the Bull.
My grill was showing off 50* higher than an oven thermometer which i kept elevated and not directly on the grill so that it was just ambient temp. I had adjusted the offset to -20 to get it to where it was even at 250* and higher. hopefully it is what it should be now but I’ll know as soon as i do something I’ve done a bunch of times already on different machines

I looked at the rtd and the thing had a slight lean so i just straightened out and now I’ll have to do another test.
luckily tonights meal needs to be put at high temp with sear grates
Appreciate you mentioning that it i may have never looked at that

My grill was showing off 50* higher than an oven thermometer which i kept elevated and not directly on the grill so that it was just ambient temp. I had adjusted the offset to -20 to get it to where it was even at 250* and higher. hopefully it is what it should be now but I’ll know as soon as i do something I’ve done a bunch of times already on different machines
You want try it on the grill. That's where the food sits. The higher you go from the grill surface, the hotter it will be.

I looked at the rtd and the thing had a slight lean so i just straightened out and now I’ll have to do another test.
luckily tonights meal needs to be put at high temp with sear grates
Appreciate you mentioning that it i may have never looked at that
I have to thank you for saying this to me again. I fixed it and now i am dead on the money with it set 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back