Stampede How To Cook Pork Loin

Cokeman

My wife bought this and we want to cook it this weekend. It’s about 15 pounds. We are having a party with about 10 people. How would you cook it? Would you cut it into 2 or three pieces? Would cooking it all be too much?

2F8B38EE-03CB-41EC-8E4E-E537E01849FB.jpeg
E07A38E0-A2AA-4806-A808-7F2B52558CA8.jpeg

Do whole, inject with
IMG_20220613_091018.jpg

little EVOO and your favorite rub to about 143°. Carryover will get you up there without drying out.

You might think about smoke-sear-foil. Once it's foiled, put it in your oven. No sense burning pellets on foiled meat unless it’s a show.

I stopped using oil after Harry Soo's advice indicated oil sealed pores from smoke. He uses Worcestershire sauce to bind rub. I don't really like it, so I use soy sauce or Dale's Steak Seasoning sauce to bind rub. Both will help promote bark .

How long to cook is hard to even guess without knowing what temperature schedule you plan on and how/if you sear. That being said, I'd put it on smoke right out of the fridge. Cold meat takes smoke fast and gives you longer time to smoke than room temperature meat.

Last edited:
I’ve always rubbed my meets with mustard just to hold the rub. Never used oil although I’ve seen Olive oil recommended. I don’t see mustard being mentioned lately. Any comments on the use of mustard to hold the rubs? and I just realized I’m kind of hijacking the thread. Apologies.

My two cents is if the meat is not tacky enough to hold the rub, then you can use pretty much anything. I I've used cider vinegar with a little soy sauce, Worcestershire, sunshine mustard, and even used a little mist of water a few times. It all works fine. None of the slathers are really intended to add flavor. You're just assisting in getting the rub to stick to the meat. The rubs with a high salt content will extract some moisture from the meat and actually glue on the rub if let to sit for a while.

Even water works. I've used mustard as well. Last time I put mustard on ribs to hold the rub, I didn't like the taste it introduced. Everyone has a favorite method. No right or wrong way.

Pork Loin will cook pretty fast.
standard 5lb loin
Smoke Temp: 225°
cook time: 2 - 2 1/2 hrs.
Inter Temp Target: 145°

Use that as your standard. Loins are lean.. so don't go too high on the temp, better to low/slow cook it (IMO/Ex).

My input is to smoke the whole thing, 300 degrees. The rub of your choice. Pull off the grill when the center is 143 as previously suggested. It’ll rise up to 4-5 more degrees. Perfectly juicy in the center. Not too dry but well done in the ends for those who prefer that doneness. Rest….Don’t cut it until the temp drops at least one or two degrees. Time? I’m guessing at 15-20 minutes per pound at 300 about 4-5 hours. I’m curious about the timing so let us know how long it took. Show pics!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back