Bull How much is a used Rec Tec RT-700 worth?

Talon

Hey all,

I’m contemplating selling my Bull I purchased in September 2019 and was wondering what is a fair price to both a potential buyer and myself? It has the front shelf and one small interior shelf. I’ll also be throwing in 100 lbs of Lumberjack pellets. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just not for me, prefer my Komado Joe to be more versatile.

Thanks,

Hey all,

I’m contemplating selling my Bull I purchased in September 2019 and was wondering what is a fair price to both a potential buyer and myself? It has the front shelf and one small interior shelf. I’ll also be throwing in 100 lbs of Lumberjack pellets. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just not for me, prefer my Komado Joe to be more versatile.

Thanks,
I totally understand. I have a kamado joe classic 2, and the rt680. They both have things that they do well, and not as much. The kamado joe is too small for a brisket, and rec tec does great for a brisket.. pork butt on either, but I use a flame boss 500 for the kamado joe. Chicken wings and beef jerky are amazing on the rec tec and the cooling area on the kamado is too small.. for quick weeknight meals I'd prefer the kamado..

Not sure what you'd get for a used grill, but expect around half of what you paid new..

Chris

While I see what you’re saying in regards to size, I never smoke whole packers. We tend to just do the flats and they fit the the KJ. As for wings, I wasn’t all that impressed, while they tasted great and were tender, I could never get the crispy skins like I can on KJ. They tend to be on the rubbery side even at 325*. I’ve even tried crisping them on a Weber gas grill after smoking, still not there. Haven’t tried jerky yet.
All in all we find the flavor of food cooked on KJ to simple taste better, but that’s just us. Thanks for the input.

All that is like 1400 brand new. Problem is you won't get close to that because the warranty doesn't transfer and that's a huge selling point. I bet you get $700-$800 MAX.

That’s basically what I was thinking. Just have to debate whether I want to keep it or let someone else get a deal on it that would definitely get more use out of it than me.
Thanks

I love my bull, couldnt live without it. To each his own, though.

You didn't fill out your profile info to show your location so can't give a more nuanced answer. What the other guys have said is generally accurate, used is typically 50% of new. I personally agree with the warrantee commentary above, but not all buyers grasp that, they just have seen what happens in the marketplace. I watch the ads on FB and CL here in Texas where we have an almost year round climate for outdoor cooking and the ones listed for more than $700 sit for sale for a longish time, down to $500 they move fairly quickly. The extras like cover or bags of pellets don't seem to move the needle much. Depending on where you live the calendar might be your friend or enemy. In the colder climates the market for something like this probably doesn't get active until Apr/May/June when you might be able to get better money or move it more quickly. If you were anywhere near me I'd trade you my KJ straight up, then you'd have two KJs and I'd have two RTs. :)

Another factor is the cleanliness. Nobody likes other peoples dirt. So, if it looks new in and out, it will get looks by people that were ready to buy new. Pellet grills are very popular around my region and seem to be gaining ground hand over fist, probably because you don't have to be a journeyman fire tender to make bbq. It truly has made bbq something anyone that can make a pot roast able to do. But you're going to be competing with the Traegers, Camp Chefs, and Pit Boss, pellet grills at the local hardware stores and big box stores. Remember, a neophite will unlikely have heard of a Rectec, let alone recognize the differences.

Last edited:
Well I think I’ve decided to keep it and use for big smokes instead of taking a bath on selling it. I was looking a lump charcoal today and came across LumberJack Char Hickory pellets. I grabbed a bag figuring what the heck. Stopped and grabbed a 2.5 lb chuck roast to make “poor man’s” burnt ends. Cleaned out the hopper, filled up with the char pellets and fired it up. Must say I was surprised how much like a charcoal grilled they smelled like! I had tried the JD charred pellets to no avail. Meats been on for 2-1/2 hours and going great. Now if tastes like smoking on a KJ over lump charcoal I’m in business on all fronts!!!
Thanks for all the input & insight.

While I see what you’re saying in regards to size, I never smoke whole packers. We tend to just do the flats and they fit the the KJ. As for wings, I wasn’t all that impressed, while they tasted great and were tender, I could never get the crispy skins like I can on KJ. They tend to be on the rubbery side even at 325*. I’ve even tried crisping them on a Weber gas grill after smoking, still not there. Haven’t tried jerky yet.
All in all we find the flavor of food cooked on KJ to simple taste better, but that’s just us. Thanks for the input.
for wings I marinate in lemon juice, garlic and bbq rub for a couple hours. Set on smoke for 30 minutes, then turn to 350. You turn once, and I'll use bbq sauce and make hot sauce for the other half of wings.. usually around an hour time..

For jerky: I start with thin sliced round steak.. marinade is: low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha, garlic,liquid smoke, molasses , Worcestershire sauce ... all to taste.. ziploc bag overnight

Set rec tec to lo smoke setting. I usually turn a couple times, and it takes roughly 3hrs.. you'll know it's done when you have little moisture on jerky.. sister in law always asks when next time I'm making it. HAHA.

Chris

Well I think I’ve decided to keep it and use for big smokes instead of taking a bath on selling it. I was looking a lump charcoal today and came across LumberJack Char Hickory pellets. I grabbed a bag figuring what the heck. Stopped and grabbed a 2.5 lb chuck roast to make “poor man’s” burnt ends. Cleaned out the hopper, filled up with the char pellets and fired it up. Must say I was surprised how much like a charcoal grilled they smelled like! I had tried the JD charred pellets to no avail. Meats been on for 2-1/2 hours and going great. Now if tastes like smoking on a KJ over lump charcoal I’m in business on all fronts!!!
Thanks for all the input & insight.
Last night I used the kamado joe. Bone in rib eye for me, and bacon wrapped filet for the wife. Using the rack in two pieces is key. First, sear, then upper rack until 135.. came out great! And wife made lobster tails, way better than going out for valentine's day.

Chris

came across LumberJack Char Hickory pellets.

I hope you get your Bull working to your satisfaction. If the LJ Char/Hickory pellets get you in the ballpark but still leave you desiring more I've seen (but yet to use) Pit Boss 100% charcoal pellets at Walmart, which I suppose you could add to your mix to increase the ratio even further. Those LJ pellets contain 10% charcoal.

This will sound ridiculous but when I began using a pellet grill last September I was highly disappointed; I came from the charcoal camp and the pellet flavor was nowhere near my previous 4 year experience. I haven't abandoned charcoal but I haven't cooked with if for a few months. I suspect that plays some role in how I view the flavor from pellet smoking, currently. Whether I cut into meat straight from the smoker or I break-open a vac sealed package of pulled pork I immediately know it was prepared with wood and that's an encouraging feeling.

Good luck in your own endeavor!

Hey all,

Thanks,
Where are you located?

Hey all,

Thanks,

If you decide to sell I’m in the market for one and willing to pay a fair price. I would be glad to pay cash or I also have a Kamado classic with JoeTisserie and all kinds of other accessories and a custom table that I would do some trading with if you’d rather have it. That said your post doesn’t show your location. I’m in Georgia

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back