Bullseye Heat deflector

Redeye

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I just got a 380 and I'm wondering if it's OK to run with out the heat deflector I'd like. To have some flame to cook with

I don’t have that model but it wouldn’t be advisable. If you have a drip pan it may not be able to handle the extra direct heat without warping. You could also inadvertently get grease into the pot and end up with a fire. Just my safety thoughts for the day.

I think the original MAK pellet grills have a configuration where you can put a louvered plate on the drip tray and get some direct-ish heat from the fire pot.

But if you're not cooking a fatty meat, I'd give it a shot. For a steak, I'd trim the fat off the edge before running the RecTec "naked". To sear a chunk of low fat fish, it should work too.

I think the original MAK pellet grills have a configuration where you can put a louvered plate on the drip tray and get some direct-ish heat from the fire pot.
There are some other pellet grills that have options to get direct flame-I’ve seen this on Memphis and Yoder smokers. There is also an aftermarket Bullseye deflector (I don’t recall who makes it) that has a removable center for fire pot cleaning and direct grilling. I’d also be concerned how well heat would be distributed in a Bullseye with no deflector. Could be super hot in the center and a big drop off in temp at the perimeter.

There are some other pellet grills that have options to get direct flame-I’ve seen this on Memphis and Yoder smokers. There is also an aftermarket Bullseye deflector (I don’t recall who makes it) that has a removable center for fire pot cleaning and direct grilling. I’d also be concerned how well heat would be distributed in a Bullseye with no deflector. Could be super hot in the center and a big drop off in temp at the perimeter.
The Camp Chef's have a thing they call Slide n Grill. https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-family/woodwind-36/CC-Pellet-Grills-and-Smokers-Woodwind-36.html

I would think you’d get a similar effect to the Vortex on a Weber kettle. Like others have said, be careful directly over the fire. Clearly it would have to be a close attention cook.

I would think you’d get a similar effect to the Vortex on a Weber kettle. Like others have said, be careful directly over the fire. Clearly it would have to be a close attention cook.
I agree. I thought about buying a Vortex to try for wok cooking on the Bullseye, but I decided that even if it did work, I don’t know how often I would use it.

add my two cents. you can do this. It just takes away the controls of the system. Even with the deflectors on some of these models you will once in a hundred cooks somehow end up with grease rolling over the shield/pan and in to the pot. I thought for sure my RT700 was ruined one day where my app said suddenly my temp spiked from burgers from 450 to HIGH. I went outside and there was a ball of flames around the whole thing. I unplugged it and it finally extinguished itself. But it was something i decided i never wanted to happen again. So... when i want fire... I use my egg or gasser!

It seems like if you cook without the heat deflector the temperature would be more hot right in the middle and less hot around the edges. Probably not a good idea. Plus you will get drippings all on the bottom in and around the fire pot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back