Cook without heat deflector?

KSM

I was wondering if its OK to do a super fast hot cook on a Flagship 1100 directly over the flame pot without the heavy cast iron heat deflector - so nothing between the fire box and the drip tray or will that damage/warp (trying to do a fast 0-400 chicken but its taking forever with flame deflector in place)?

The Yoder smokers offer this option, but with a cut-out instead of removing the entire drip tray. I’d never try it with a chicken, but it can put a nice, quick sear on a piece of beef.

What I was thinking was to remove the heat deflector and leave the drip tray in place. I did do a 0-400 cook on my recteq with the heavy heat deflector in place and it took about 25 minutes longer but the chicken did turn out with a nice sear and very moist. I was just thinking if I could accelerate the process or would I screw up the drip tray if the heat deflector wasn't in place.

I‘d expect a cherry red circle in the drip tray, to me that would be bad in the longer term for the deflector as well as very poor heat distribution all the time. Your hot zone over the red circle will be much hotter then the temp sensor on the side will register.

If you don’t mind buying a new drip tray if it gets messed up, give it a try and let us know.

I‘d expect a cherry red circle in the drip tray, to me that would be bad in the longer term for the deflector as well as very poor heat distribution all the time. Your hot zone over the red circle will be much hotter then the temp sensor on the side will register.

If you don’t mind buying a new drip tray if it gets messed up, give it a try and let us know.
Thanks. I might try it in the future when I know they will sell spare parts for this unit. I tried to buy to 2 swivel casters to replace the 2 fixed casters on my new Flagship 1100 but they told me they are not selling parts for new units as they need to keep them in warranty inventory until they can build up a stock!!

Do it without the drip pan, otherwise you are gonna warp the hell out of the pan. What's the benefit of cooking a chicken like that, and is the lemon worth the squeeze? These grill are what they are and aint what they aint. :)
Great advice.

The cooker is not meant to run without a heat deflector, it’s why they give us one. Seems it’s not worth popping a drip pan.

Take the money you’ll be spending to eventually buy new drip pans and buy a bullseye, because that’s what you are wanting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back