Have you ever tried these pellets

Bbqallday80

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
AE4FEF30-8F51-4AF3-80B5-25AAC4B39737.jpeg

Has anyone used these and have an opinion on them. There at Academy for 40 pounds 14.99. Using Lumberjack now but the price is amazing on these. Thanks

I haven't tried these but my dad has used them in his pellet smoker. He didn't think they were bad, but not particularity great either.

He also has a Rural King close to him as well and he too normally uses Lumberjack pellets. They are on sale all the time.

I haven't tried these but my dad has used them in his pellet smoker. He didn't think they were bad, but not particularity great either.

He also has a Rural King close to him as well and he too normally uses Lumberjack pellets. They are on sale all the time.
Mike, it would appear that the LJ pellets at RK is now a thing of the past. Some folks are reporting that the RK brand is now made by LJ, so you get the same pellets, different bag.

i haven’t tried them either but want to. im interested in the b&b post oak. i picked up a single bag of cheat river hardwood pellets today from lowes. it just says hardwood and great for grilling. cost $5.98 for 40lbs. i haven’t tried it yet but thats cheap! i plan to give a honest review on them soon. they may taste like soot, who know. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Still-River-Pellets/5001965889
3ECD4E93-EF55-4981-BB41-2CBCFC3C77CD.jpeg

i haven’t tried them either but want to. im interested in the b&b post oak. i picked up a single bag of cheat river hardwood pellets today from lowes. it just says hardwood and great for grilling. cost $5.98 for 40lbs. i haven’t tried it yet but thats cheap! i plan to give a honest review on them soon. they may taste like soot, who know. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Still-River-Pellets/5001965889 View attachment 14736
Hopefully they work out for ya. Look forward to the review

Mike, it would appear that the LJ pellets at RK is now a thing of the past. Some folks are reporting that the RK brand is now made by LJ, so you get the same pellets, different bag.
Well ain't that some news. I guess it's a good thing I still have about 200 lbs of pellets left of the LJ that I bought from Rural King later last year.

I'll have to try out the Rural King bagged pellets and see how they do.

I can get a 40 pound bag of lumberjack for 27. Not to bad but always looking to save if possible. Thanks for the feedback

A lot of store chains think “grilling” is a summertime exercise and reduce their inventory of “summer stuff” at this time of year for accounting purposes. Those of us who actually do grill and smoke know it is a year-round activity. ;) Heck, I’ve even done grilling and smoking in the rain, snow, etc. :oops:

Come spring the store buyers order cooking pellets and similar stuff. Bean counters control the world these days.

Last edited:
A lot of store chains think “grilling” is a summertime exercise and reduce their inventory of “summer stuff” at this time of year for accounting purposes. Those of us who actually do grill and smoke know mit is a year-round activity. ;) Heck, I’ve even done grilling and smoking in the rain, snow, etc. :oops:

Come spring the store buyers order cooking pellets and similar stuff. Bean counters control the world these days.
I guess I'm a real griller then... Just this evening, in 25 degree weather and snowing I pulled off two steaks on my RT-500 Bull. :D

A lot of store chains think “grilling” is a summertime exercise and reduce their inventory of “summer stuff” at this time of year for accounting purposes. Those of us who actually do grill and smoke know mit is a year-round activity. ;) Heck, I’ve even done grilling and smoking in the rain, snow, etc. :oops:

Heck, I started a brisket several nights ago when the temp was a balmy ZERO degrees F. Smoked the brisket, 2 racks of ribs and 2 pounds of bacon. The high temp during the entire cook was ten degrees. (the 1250 held 225 without a hitch). I did have to occasionally break off the grease icicles as it was too cold for it to drip into the bucket!

View attachment 14734
Has anyone used these and have an opinion on them. There at Academy for 40 pounds 14.99. Using Lumberjack now but the price is amazing on these. Thanks
Excellent Pellets! I have used them since I got my RT590 last November. I did buy some Bear Mountain Gourmet blend a couple of weeks ago at Tractor Supply. They only had 4 bags but got them for $6.93 a bag 20lb.

Tried B&B lump charcoal a few years ago, kind of a poor product. Because of that experience I'd probably pass on their pellets. Might not be right, but it's what I'd do if I were to see it, which I haven't.

I have used B&B pellets but not that variety. I used their pecan blend. It is my understanding B&B is rebranded BBQersDelight product. While they burned well and produced little ash I greatly prefer LumberJack 100% Hickory for flavor.

Tried B&B lump charcoal a few years ago, kind of a poor product. Because of that experience I'd probably pass on their pellets. Might not be right, but it's what I'd do if I were to see it, which I haven't.

I don't know what your experience was but B&B lump is my favorite lump these days taking into consideration price and quality. My favorite was the old Arkansas made Ozark Oak that is sadly no longer available.

With that said charcoal and pellets are two distinct products that have nothing in common.

If you have an Academy Sports nearby their price on 40 lb bags is awesome and they have given me two twenty lb bags for the price of one forty more than once.

i haven’t tried them either but want to. im interested in the b&b post oak. i picked up a single bag of cheat river hardwood pellets today from lowes. it just says hardwood and great for grilling. cost $5.98 for 40lbs. i haven’t tried it yet but thats cheap! i plan to give a honest review on them soon. they may taste like soot, who know. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Still-River-Pellets/5001965889 View attachment 14736

Chad, Before you risk an expensive cut of meat, cook a piece of chicken breast on it. Chicken soaks up smoke like a sponge and breast is nearly flavorless by itself, so it should give you a good idea of the smoke flavor.

That's pretty expensive. Standard price here is $9.99/20# , on sale is usually $8.99 for LJ
Wow! That’s a great price. I’m finding 20# bags anywhere from $14-$20 per 20# bag. My goal is to buy pellets for as close to $0.50/pound as I can but haven’t had great luck. I may have to checkout the sources I’m seeing y’all post.

I have used B&B pellets but not that variety. I used their pecan blend. It is my understanding B&B is rebranded BBQersDelight product. While they burned well and produced little ash I greatly prefer LumberJack 100% Hickory for flavor.
Has anyone confirmed that B&B is rebranded BBQers Delight? That’s all I used to use about 15 years ago (my Traeger BBQ075) because they were one of the few, at that time, that used oak as their filler. Traeger used alder for their filler. My point is they were pretty good pellets back then.

Has anyone confirmed that B&B is rebranded BBQers Delight?
I have not but it is a very commonly stated on the forums I frequent. The Pecan ones I used burned nice with very little ash. I just wanted a bit more smoke so I wound up with LumberJack 100% Hickory. If I couldn't get LJ Hickory I'd try B&B Hickory in a heartbeat since I can get them closer for about the same money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back