Bull Has any one used Charcoal pellets?

Jonathan Buffett

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull

Attachments

• 28D8DE4A-5A91-43CD-AECF-2EC1FAB017C8.png
    28D8DE4A-5A91-43CD-AECF-2EC1FAB017C8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
I am thinking about using charcoal pellets too. I was surprised that Kingsford doesn't have the charcoal flavored pellets.

I have a bag of the LJ Char-hickory to try, but still working on what I have in the hopper before I give them a whirl.

Pitt Boss has them now too, a lot cheaper then the Pellet Pro although there is no mention of how much charcoal is in the Pitt Boss. Pellet Pro being 30% and LJ being 10%.

I have the LJ charcoal, which is in the Bullseye now. They cook well, and have a nice charcoal color.

However, as it is Sunday, (and at the risk of having y’all kick me out of here!) I’m going to make a confession that I really can’t tell a difference in pellet flavor when not using a smoke tube. I’ve tried so many different pellets and so many brands, and they don’t make a flavor difference to me. I’m at the point where for the pellet hopper I’m going to stick to the recteq ultimate blend and/or the Cookin’ pellets because both give excellent runtime with very low ash.

Now with a smoke tube, I do pick up some differences in flavor, and in color. I especially like the color and flavor of cherry, and for years I always used cherry scraps when cooking pork or poultry on a BGE. I’ll stick with keeping a small variety and quantity of different pellets for the tube.

According to Meathead Goldwyn and the Science of Great Barbeque and Grilling - there wont be a lot of difference in pellet flavor. He puts woods in two categories - mild and strong. "I cannot state this more emphatically. The quality of the meat, the spice rub, the cooking temperature, and the meat temperature affect the final taste profile far more than the name on the bag of wood." So exactly which kind of mild or which kind of strong, in his opinion, will not make that much of a difference.

Wow... I think the pellet companies just hired hit men to find you Azajyum. I hate to admit this (and I have in other posts), but i have tracked in a journal many cooks and it sure doesn't seem to lead me to major changes in my pellet choices. I don't see a pattern where I say "Wow" i must use this pellet for ribs. I have had good ribs with cherry, blends, hickory, etc. And I have had some that weren't as good with the same list.

Rubs... for sure! But, i just haven't had situations where my pellets seems to really change outcomes.

Nonetheless... I will keep changing..trying.. experimenting... and anxious to hear how others feel about these charcoal pellets.

I recently used on my traeger pro. Smells like Christmas mild in taste

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back