Meat Grinder Recommendation

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Would anyone have a recommendation for a stand alone meat grinder? I want to be able to grind my own meat. Basically from trimmings and purchased meats as well. It would be nice if it had a sausage attachment.

I don't want to use an attachment to my mixer. I know many people do. I would rather get a meat grinder that is designed specifically to grind meat and possibly make sausage. I have a Bosch Universal Plus Mixer which has the ability to have an attachment but the attachment is not rated very well.

I'm also hoping to find one with a small footprint if possible.

Thanks so much!

I don’t have a stand-alone grinder (I use the metal version on my KitchenAid commercial mixer), but I don’t use the sausage stuffer. Many folks with a lot more experience that I have say to avoid the auger stuffers, go with the vertical press.

I don’t have a stand-alone grinder (I use the metal version on my KitchenAid commercial mixer), but I don’t use the sausage stuffer. Many folks with a lot more experience that I have say to avoid the auger stuffers, go with the vertical press.
@Greg Jones I had a KitchenAid mixer + grinder attachment and sausage maker but I burned out the motor making pizza dough. Since my other toy is a pizza oven, I make a lot of dough. The Bosch Universal Plus Mixer is 800 watts of power and I love it. But there are too many complaints about the grinder attachment.

Thanks for the advice on the sausage stuffer.

I had a KitchenAid mixer + grinder attachment and sausage maker but I burned out the motor making pizza dough…
I understand completely. I had a KA Artisan model (still have it actually, just haven’t found a home for it yet) for 14 years and when I switched to grinding my own meat, clearly it wasn’t going to take the abuse. I have one of their commercial models now, 8 qt. bowl, 1.3 HP DC motor, all NSE approved stainless parts. It’s a beast!

Attachments

• C7082AB8-3DE0-450B-9B00-8A1E62E28863.jpeg
    C7082AB8-3DE0-450B-9B00-8A1E62E28863.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 55178D5C-4C61-4D5C-BFC9-7DE41ECB101B.jpeg
    55178D5C-4C61-4D5C-BFC9-7DE41ECB101B.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 54955E1D-4164-44E7-8FEE-618C02E73F30.jpeg
    54955E1D-4164-44E7-8FEE-618C02E73F30.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 64
Very nice. After talking to KitchenAid, I discovered that anyone having the models for 20+ years has the best along with a life time warranty. I had the Architect since 2009. KitchenAid changed their warranties before that and only cover their machines for 1 year. Getting them fixed (at least here in Southern California) is basically impossible No one will work on them. There is a certified KA repair shop 2+ hours away. It was easier for me to sell the machine as is (not working), and the many attachments I had and buy the Bosch.

@BethV, I have a Cabela's Carnivore #12 grinder that I absolutely love! It will grind a two-pack of butts (sausage) or a packer brisket in no time flat! I break mine out at least once a month so that I can make sausage, and/or grind up beef, lamb, or pork for various uses (or to keep the freezer stocked up!) I narrowed my choices down to this one and the LEM Big Bite grinder, and decided that they were equivalent machines for my purpose. I had some gift cards at Cabela's, so that made the choice for me between the two.

Prior to the Cabela's, I had a smaller unit (I think it was a #8), that did fine, but was much slower, and I had to cut the meat much smaller to easily feed through the smaller throat.

The #12 might be overkill for you, depending on how much you expect to use it, but for me it's awesome!

Rich

@BethV, I have a Cabela's Carnivore #12 grinder that I absolutely love! It will grind a two-pack of butts (sausage) or a packer brisket in no time flat! I break mine out at least once a month so that I can make sausage, and/or grind up beef, lamb, or pork for various uses (or to keep the freezer stocked up!) I narrowed my choices down to this one and the LEM Big Bite grinder, and decided that they were equivalent machines for my purpose. I had some gift cards at Cabela's, so that made the choice for me between the two.

Prior to the Cabela's, I had a smaller unit (I think it was a #8), that did fine, but was much slower, and I had to cut the meat much smaller to easily feed through the smaller throat.

The #12 might be overkill for you, depending on how much you expect to use it, but for me it's awesome!

Rich
Thanks Rich. I will check that one out. I don't see myself using it more than a couple of times a month. But I want something that works good and will last. I'm going to be storing it between uses. I appreciate your help.

LEM has a couple of smaller models. The 1124 and the 1158. I don't need a heavy duty grinder. I'm basically using it for trimmings and also ground meats. I'd like to be able to make sausage. It looks like LEM is a great brand. I will need to check them both out a little bit better to understand the difference. I'm leaning towards the 1158.

Another question...do you ever order things like this on Amazon? It's a lot cheaper. I order from Amazon all the time, but when it comes to higher quality things, I tend to order from the source or a reputable store. I've heard horror stories of repackaged items, etc. from Amazon. I took a chance and ordered a large HP Monitor for my desk and it was clearly opened by someone else before me. It works fine, but it's stuff like this that worries me.

LEM has a couple of smaller models. The 1124 and the 1158. I don't need a heavy duty grinder. I'm basically using it for trimmings and also ground meats. I'd like to be able to make sausage. It looks like LEM is a great brand. I will need to check them both out a little bit better to understand the difference. I'm leaning towards the 1158.
I haven't seen any reviews on those two units, Beth, so do your homework on them. They look very similar to the previous countertop model that I had prior to my Cabela's one. Based on your described usage, they should do the job, no problem.
Another question...do you ever order things like this on Amazon? It's a lot cheaper. I order from Amazon all the time, but when it comes to higher quality things, I tend to order from the source or a reputable store. I've heard horror stories of repackaged items, etc. from Amazon. I took a chance and ordered a large HP Monitor for my desk and it was clearly opened by someone else before me. It works fine, but it's stuff like this that worries me.
I don't usually worry about it too much. Amazon is really good about returns (as long as you pay attention to who is actually selling it.....some sellers have restrictions on returns), and I tend to try for "Shipped and sold by Amazon" for bigger ticket stuff. If there's a Cabela's or Bass Pro shop near you, you could check out their lineup of grinders in person, which is nice.

Cant help you Beth. I do not grind much, maybe once or twice a month. With the amount of grinding I do, I use my KA grinding attachment and it has always done the job for me. Reading through the guys recommendations, lots of good ones out there. Good luck, I know you will choose the one best for you.

Hey Beth. I have had an STX Turboforce 3000 for 5 years now and it works great. I don't use it as much as I should be, but it's a great grinder. I bought it on Amazon, but although they do carry the STX, they don't have the one I have. This site STX carries them, though it looks like they are sold out at the moment.

@Bytor I looked at STX but they seem to have had some problems based on current reviews. I'm thinking LEM. I'd like to get the LEM Big Bite #5 but is a big machine. I would not be using it more that 1-2 times a month and moving it looks like work. I'm thinking I might order the LEM #8 Mighty Bite. It's their smaller machine. Reviews say is great but incredibly loud. Like ear plug loud. Also much cheaper at Home Depot than LEM even with their 10% off discount. Still thinking. I was surprised to see so many grinders out of stock.

I have the LEM big bite 12 and it’s awesome. I had a different brand that was smaller but it was loud, vibrated the counter and bogged down. The LEM just chews through anything I throw at it. I was going to get the LEM 8 but the 12 was on sale at the time I was looking at it. For grinders, I don’t think you can go wrong with LEM.

The cabelas carnivore series look nice too and I believe I saw somewhere that it’s a Weston brand made for Cabelas? Not that it matters as long as it does what it’s supposed to do but perhaps look at the Weston as well.

I have the LEM big bite 12 and it’s awesome. I had a different brand that was smaller but it was loud, vibrated the counter and bogged down. The LEM just chews through anything I throw at it. I was going to get the LEM 8 but the 12 was on sale at the time I was looking at it. For grinders, I don’t think you can go wrong with LEM.
Thanks! I hear LEM is great. Yours is a big machine.

Thanks! I hear LEM is great. Yours is a big machine.
It is and probably overkill for most. I got it with the intention of using it to raw feed or BARF diet for the dog we haven’t gotten yet lol. Anyway, LEM makes various sizes to suit different needs.

I have a Lem bug bite #5. I use it to grind pork butt for sausage and grind venison. Bought refurbished from Lem. It works great. What I liked most about it you can actually get parts.

Hey Beth. I have had an STX Turboforce 3000 for 5 years now and it works great. I don't use it as much as I should be, but it's a great grinder. I bought it on Amazon, but although they do carry the STX, they don't have the one I have. This site STX carries them, though it looks like they are sold out at the moment.
Your grinder rates very high in the "Best Grinder" reviews. It's just not available.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back