Grillgrate sear kit directly over firepot

Tboog86

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Does anyone have any experience using the Grillgrate sear kits on top of the Recteq grates, directly over the firepot with the drip pan and heat deflector removed? I have done it with a solid steel griddle (similar to the griddle hack but without the funnel) with decent results. I am wondering how much of a potential mess I could have on my hands if I tried it out with the sear kit which has holes or if the direct heat from the firepot would burn up more of the grease than it does when using with just convection heat.

I assume you are wanting more heat on the grates? If so, I don’t have experience with what you are asking, but I’d probably start with removing only the drip pan and see how that works first.

Yes more heat but specifically more direct heat. I've been happy with the sear kit but I find that the temperature doesn't recover very quickly after contact with food with only convection heat from the Recteq. In my experiments with the griddle the direct flame helped keep keep the temperature more consistent and also allowed for minimal temperature drop when the lid is open.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back