Trailblazer Grill Notes - Pork Loin Filet - Monday, 27 July 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
This is our second effort to do a small pork loin on the Trailblazer. Although this loin was purchased “pre-marinated", we’ve modified the recipe to fit the Rec Tec Recipe of a bacon wrapped pork loin - we’ve done something similar on the BGE, this will be our first bacon wrapped effort on the Trailblazer, thinking it should take considerably less effort. Note, I did vacuum out the RT-340 before this cook as we’ve done about 4 previous cooks since the last cleaning. I find my portable DeWalt battery powered mini shop vac perfect for this task!

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - a pretty typical Summer Monday in the “Natural State”. Actually, it’s a little cooler to start off the week, and supposed to be stormy (again) starting tomorrow afternoon, so today was a primo grill out day.
  • Weather at time of Grill: Mostly sunny, with a little bit of a light cloud haze....Temp ~87F, Humidity ~59%
  • Total Grill Time: 1 Hr, 28 Min. (~XX min, Grill started at 16:52 CDT, at target temp 375F from 105F at start at 17:11) - includes grill time for 2 x peach halves for dessert after we pulled the pork loin.
    • Grill Start to Target Temp: 19 min (for some reason this was a little longer than normal today….)
  • Total Event Time: ~1 hr, 45 Min
  • Temp Probes Used. Yes x1
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

Meat & Meat Prep
  • Meat: 1.5 lb Mesquite BBQ Port Loin Filet, (Pre-packaged) from Brookshire’s - we lean heavily on our local Brookshire's for normal meat cuts)
  • Hickory Smoked Bacon (prepackaged from Brookshire's or Walmart…..)
  • Total Meat Prep Time: Not much other than thawing it out, it came prepackaged as a Mesquite BBQ marinade.
  • Meat on at 17:12 CDT, at ~50F, starting meat temp Target cook temp for meet is 155~160F, Target temp achieved at 18:14 CDT)
Sides & Desert:
  • Sides:
    • Salad: Mixed Greens, Onions, Blue Berries, Pine Nuts, Garbonzola Cheese, & Honey Mustard Dressing
    • Mac & Cheese: Kraft DELUXE Mac & Cheese

• Desert: Grilled Peaches with Maple, Brown Sugar, Butter, & Pecans, also grilled in the RT-340

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • Used basic stainless steel grill during the entire cook with a target cooking temp of 375
  • Used a single temp probes in middle of the filet.

General Comments:

• Oveall cook was great - we will do this recipe again! Recipe was based on the Red Tec Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin recipe from the grill web site..
  • Grill performance continues to be very consistent, although it took the grill a little longer to get to the target temp today. In past grills we’ve gotten from start to 450 in about 9~10 min, but it took us just shy of 20 min to get to 375……….
  • Still trying out different Grill Gazebo locations, this one seems to fit a little better.
Packagaed Pork Loin and Bacon 20200727.jpeg
Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin Pre-Grill 20200727.jpeg
Wrapped Porkloin on the Grill 20200727.jpeg
Smoking RT-340 Under Gazebo 20200727.jpeg
Grilled Wrapped Pork Loin 20200727.jpeg
Wrapped Pork Loin Serving Cuts 20200727.jpeg
Pre-Grill Peaches 20200727.jpeg
Peaches on the Grill 20200727.jpeg
Pork Loin Dinner Plated 20200727.jpeg
Grilled Peach Desserts Plated 20200727.jpeg

Very nice, Sscottfitz ! Was thinking of doing pork tenderloin this weekend, so great inspiration. Will take note of your time/temp. Bacon wrap is a nice (and tasty) touch.
BTW, how do you like the Grill Gazebo? Have seen similar one and considered it in the past, but never pulled the trigger.

Very nice, Sscottfitz ! Was thinking of doing pork tenderloin this weekend, so great inspiration. Will take note of your time/temp. Bacon wrap is a nice (and tasty) touch.
BTW, how do you like the Grill Gazebo? Have seen similar one and considered it in the past, but never pulled the trigger.
Thanks, and I do like the Grill Gazebo, it actually does a couple of things for me. 1) it looks a lot better than those "EZ Popup sun canopies, which helps keep the "POA Compliance Police" off my @$$, and 2) it's pretty sturdy, and is a good sun & rain screen, and vents all at the same time. First saw one at Lowes, but ended up getting this one on Amazon, think it was about $170'ish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back