Grill Notes: Petite Filets on a Skewer - Tuesday, 8 Sep 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
Today’s grill pretty much validated our process for grilling petite filets (which we do a lot for steaks….). It was the 2nd set of smaller filets we’ve done since owning the RT-340. Prep, heat, and cook times are pretty consistent. Only delta here was the use of wood skewers to help manage the smaller cuts of filet. An unsolicited PSA…. If your wife suggests that you take both your grill gloves when you go out to flip the meat…..listen……..

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - another late afternoon late Summer afternoon
  • Weather at time of Grill: Early/Mid September, Summer has returned to Ark, as has the humidity, but not too bad....Temp ~87F, Humidity ~63%
  • Total Grill Time: 26 Min
  • Total Event Time: ~57 Min Includes filet rub, pre grill prep & plating
  • Grill Start to Target Temp 450F: 102 to 450 ~17 min
  • Grill Plates: Yes
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: 6x Petite Filet Mignon Steaks (like really petite...)
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~3 min, Good old S&P
    • Meat on at 17:21 CDT, probes say starting temp is ~62F
    • Very small filet cuts, so we decided to skewer them to make handling easier, 3x “mini filets” per skewer (serving)

• Sides:
    • Oven roasted potatoes. yellow onions, & asparagus - another favorite side, think they are hit with S&P, and a little olive oil
Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • On the grill 17:03, grill temp at start was ~102 (sun peeking under my grill gazebo, heating up the old Trailblazer…)
  • Targeted Filet Temps: Deb: ~127 F Med Rare; Steve: ~153 F Med Well - pretty close to target...
  • Matches the highest grill temps used to date - we’ll do something at MAX some day…..
  • Used dual temp probes, one per skewer, largest piece of meat on both skewers.

General Comments:

• Griller’s support tool of choice: Robert Strong Pinot Noir with Gold Fish (Cheese Crackers)!
  • Grill Master’s Laws of Physic’s #869: The amount of time it takes the fingers to send a message to the brain, that the metal you are touching (temp probe) is “F’ing HOT” and you should release the hot piece of metal is > than the amount of time required for a hot temperature probe to inflict a good 2nd degree burn on the involved fingers/thumb……just sayin….. I’m apparently a slow learner, this is the 3rd time I’ve done this….. 😞

Attachments

• Package Petite Filets and Grill Plate 20200908.jpeg
    Package Petite Filets and Grill Plate 20200908.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 193
  • Outside Skewered Petite Filets 20200908.jpeg
    Outside Skewered Petite Filets 20200908.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • Petite Filets On the Grill 20200908.jpeg
    Petite Filets On the Grill 20200908.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • Potatoes-Onions-Asparagus 20200908.jpeg
    Potatoes-Onions-Asparagus 20200908.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • Skewered Petitie Filest Just Off Grill 20200908.jpeg
    Skewered Petitie Filest Just Off Grill 20200908.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Plated Filets and Veggies 20200908.jpeg
    Plated Filets and Veggies 20200908.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • Goldfish-PinotNoir 20200908.jpeg
    Goldfish-PinotNoir 20200908.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • Probe Burn Thumb 20200909.jpeg
    Probe Burn Thumb 20200909.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 75
Ouch!!!
Food looks awesome as usual.
How do you keep the bottom of the grill grates so clean? Mine have a lot of residue that transfers to the meat.

Ouch!!!
Food looks awesome as usual.
How do you keep the bottom of the grill grates so clean? Mine have a lot of residue that transfers to the meat.
I usually just bring them in and give them to the lady who stores them in the kitchen, I know she cleans them with "something", but I'll have to confirm with her the secret and I'm glad to share it, It's funny, we seem to cook on the bottom side of the grill mates more than the top.......I'll say this for sure, they are a must if your going to cook steaks, burgers, dogs on this grill!

Wait... you clean your grill grates?? Sorry about those fingers, it looks like I’m not the only one who just grabs it and pulls it out 😰.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back