Trailblazer Grill Notes - Boneless Pork Chops (Pork Chops Calloway) - Saturday, 1 August 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
This is a "tried & true" favorite of ours, named after an old boss from my active duty days. They prepared it for us during a social visit one evening, we liked it, they didn't have a name for it, so we gave it a name.....<grin> It’s essentially just smoked then cooked boneless pork chops, with some special goodness added at the end. It follows the continuing theme of a low temp smoking period, a brief rest while the temps are brought up, and then a a quick higher temp cook using the Grill Plates.

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - a Saturday afternoon under the “relocated” grill gazebo.
  • Weather at time of Grill: A “Non-Typical” first day of August here in Arkansas. relatively low humidity, and temps barely in the the 80’s….Temp ~85F, Humidity ~47%
  • Total Grill Time: 1 Hr, 21 Min. (09 min transition to first temp, ~45 min @ 180, 10 min transition to to 2nd temp, 15~20 min @425)
  • Total Event Time: ~1 Hr, 30 Min. Includes chop prep, and total grill time.
  • Grill Start to Initial Smoke Target Temp 180F: 096F to 180 ~07 min (it surged to just over 193, but evened out quickly once the chops were placed on the grill)
  • Grill up to “Searing Heat” Target Temp 425: 180 to 425 ~ 08 Min (18:08 start, achieved 425 at 18:16)
  • Grill Plates: Yes, Flat Side Up for last part of cook
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: 3x ~4 oz. Boneless Pork Chops
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~1 min (S&P)
    • Meat on at 17:20 CDT, at ~54F, meat temp at end of smoking period: ~115F, (18:08). set off and covered while grill temps heated up planned/smoked for ~45 min)
    • Meat back on Grill Plates at 18:16 CDT, Meat on the Grill Plates ~3 min per side, final flip, includes “Calloway Prep” (application of dijon mustard, cheese, & cranberry sauce), final flip executed at ~130F
      • Note, we usually use Swiss Cheese, but didn’t have any, so Assaggi cheese was the applied substitute - and it was good too!
    • Another ~3 min, Chops off at ~145F (meat temp)
Sides: Baked Potato & Mixed Spinach Green Salad

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • Used basic stainless steel grill (left side) during the smoking period, and grill plate (flat side up, on the right of the gril) for the final searing/cooking action
  • Searing Temp 425 seems to be about right for a high grill temp for final searing cooks for thinner cuts <1” thickness
  • Used both temp probes to track both chops during smoking & grill plate periods.

General Comments:

• Overall chops were good, but could have been a little more moist, next time we’ll either marinate them or inject (marination would probably work best) - actually we’ll also probably also reduce the smoking period to ~30 min (vice 45 min).
  • Final flip, and “Calloway treatment (mustard, cheese, & cranberry sauce) was a little pushed as we were trying to limit the amount of “open lid grill time”… (Not sure how to mitigate this…..)

Attachments

• Boneless 4 oz Pork Chops 20200801.jpeg
    Boneless 4 oz Pork Chops 20200801.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 213
  • Pre-Cook Grill Config 20200801.jpeg
    Pre-Cook Grill Config 20200801.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87
  • Pre-Grill Config Wide Angle 20200801.jpeg
    Pre-Grill Config Wide Angle 20200801.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 78
  • Grill Start Chops On 20200801.jpeg
    Grill Start Chops On 20200801.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • PCC Pre Final 3 min on Grill 20200801.jpeg
    PCC Pre Final 3 min on Grill 20200801.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • Pork Chops Calloway just off Grill 20200801.jpeg
    Pork Chops Calloway just off Grill 20200801.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • Porkchops Calloway Plated 20200801.jpeg
    Porkchops Calloway Plated 20200801.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 89
Just might have to give these a try. I have some chops in the freezer for a while not knowing what I wanted to do with.

Looks good.

Three cheers to you, I tried this on my Bull this evening and, thunderstorm and substitution-with-BBQ-sauce notwithstanding, the boneless chops turned out great. I did end up finishing them off on my Weber kettle since my sear grates haven't arrived yet, but potato potahto

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back