Stampede Grill grate vs cast iron skillet?

rbrusuelas

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Like to do a better job of reverse searing. I didn't purchase the Recteq grill grates since they seem pretty expensive. Instead I use an old Lodge reversible skillet. Do people that have used both find the sear plates work better (or easier)?

I have both but preferred the old iron skillet. Easy to clean. But I quit using my 590 for grilling and went to a propane grill. My 590 would get hot, but it took a while and I retired it from grilling duties about a year ago. It is now my smoker, which is what I bought it for.

Ive been using a carbon steel pan. Like it better than cast iron personally. As far as searing steaks lately I’ve been putting the pan in pizza over then throw steak on that back in oven for 1 min than out to rest.

I use a cast iron skillet for searing steaks and such, but on my Weber gasser. I use the grill grates, flat side up on the Weber gasser for stuff the smash burgers and veggies. IMHO, the RT just doesn't put out enough heat, even with the grill grates, it's a great smoker though.

Last edited:
If you have a way to do what you want, don’t waste money time and storage space on a redundant method.

I have both but preferred the old iron skillet. Easy to clean. But I quit using my 590 for grilling and went to a propane grill. My 590 would get hot, but it took a while and I retired it from grilling duties about a year ago. It is now my smoker, which is what I bought it for.
Same with me. I have the grill grates and they work well, but it takes too long to get to temp. My grill does it in 2 minutes.

Like to do a better job of reverse searing. I didn't purchase the Recteq grill grates since they seem pretty expensive. Instead I use an old Lodge reversible skillet. Do people that have used both find the sear plates work better (or easier)?
I like to cook my steaks to 125° - 130° (for medium rare) on my Bullseye and then put them into a screaming hot cast iron skillet that has been heating up on my Weber Q-grill. A little butter and rosemary sprigs in the skillet enhances the flavor considerably. I spoon the butter over the steaks while they're searing. About 4 minutes on each side will give the steaks a nice crust.

I use an old lodge cast iron frying pan. some time right side up and some times bottom side up Works great for me. Usually have it in the grill during the initial cooking to speed the heating time up,

I like to cook my steaks to 125° - 130° (for medium rare) on my Bullseye and then put them into a screaming hot cast iron skillet that has been heating up on my Weber Q-grill. A little butter and rosemary sprigs in the skillet enhances the flavor considerably. I spoon the butter over the steaks while they're searing. About 4 minutes on each side will give the steaks a nice crust.
If you go all the way to 125-130 on the Bullseye, aren’t the steaks overdone after you sear them 4 minutes per side? I pull my steaks at 105 and still have trouble getting enough sear time before they hit 130.

I suppose it depends on what temp you sear at, but cast iron on the gasser I can get away with 1 min per side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back