Grill grate on just one side of Bullseye?

AFDoc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
New guy to pellet grills, just got Bullseye a week ago. Looking at a grill grate for burgers and steaks but wondering if I can just use a 12x10 aluminum grate sitting on one side of the original grate. That way I can smoke on the original grate and move food over to the Grill grate for reverse searing. Will that work or will it just slide around too much when trying to flip/remove food? Anyone done something like this? Thanks

Welcome, AFDoc!

I bought grill grates for my Stampede and I've only used them once. But here's my .02¢....

You're going to be smoking and searing at different temperatures, so I'm not sure it really makes sense to leave your grill grates in, taking up real estate while you're smoking. Once the smoking is done, you can crank up the temperature, throw the GG's in and do your searing.

Good luck.

Welcome, AFDoc!

I bought grill grates for my Stampede and I've only used them once. But here's my .02¢....

You're going to be smoking and searing at different temperatures, so I'm not sure it really makes sense to leave your grill grates in, taking up real estate while you're smoking. Once the smoking is done, you can crank up the temperature, throw the GG's in and do your searing.

Good luck.
Thanks. Just me and the better half so when doing burgers or steaks don’t need a lot of room and I thought if grates already in there they would heat up faster. Just don’t know if the grate will move around too much when trying to flip the burger if I just have 10x12 grill grate in it.

I think I’ll do the final sear on the stove. Faster than waiting for the RT to heat up and does the job.

I have a Bullseye and I have tried what you are discussing. The problem is the GG will only be slightly hotter than the grill. So you either have to cook on grill, pull crank up heat then sear.

I leave my GG on the Bullseye all of the time. It helps with grease fires and we mostly cook chicken, burgers or steaks on the Bullseye. While I have a 590 as well, I know you can do ribs, brisket pork etc on the Bullseye without GG. Just difficult to have one grill that does all!

I finally bought a Blackstone and use it for breakfast, bacon, smash burgers etc.

Welcome and hope that helps! I love my Bullseye!

Put a 3RPM'r in that there Bullseye if ya want faster heat! I thought I was gonna burn the house down today after putting mine in the Bull! Yes.. temp was off the chart! In all fairness it was my fault for not cleaning her before I hit the heat. My bad.. lesson learned.

7FD6253F-E42D-4B18-8226-E066A88879BD.png

Last edited:
I have a Bullseye and I have tried what you are discussing. The problem is the GG will only be slightly hotter than the grill. So you either have to cook on grill, pull crank up heat then sear.

I leave my GG on the Bullseye all of the time. It helps with grease fires and we mostly cook chicken, burgers or steaks on the Bullseye. While I have a 590 as well, I know you can do ribs, brisket pork etc on the Bullseye without GG. Just difficult to have one grill that does all!

I finally bought a Blackstone and use it for breakfast, bacon, smash burgers etc.

Welcome and hope that helps! I love my Bullseye!
That’s what I started to think about. Would have to pull meat off bullseye and wait for it to heat up to then sear. Easier to just heat up a cast iron pan on the stove and move the meat over for the final sear when ready. Faster and easier. Thanks

New guy to pellet grills, just got Bullseye a week ago. Looking at a grill grate for burgers and steaks but wondering if I can just use a 12x10 aluminum grate sitting on one side of the original grate. That way I can smoke on the original grate and move food over to the Grill grate for reverse searing. Will that work or will it just slide around too much when trying to flip/remove food? Anyone done something like this? Thanks
That's exactly what I do, but you still will have to crank up the heat to get a good sear on the grill grates. Unfortunately that can take a while unless you have the new 1250.
There is no sliding.

Welcome, AFDoc!

Good luck.
When I bought GG's for my gas grill, I planned to move a panel to two to the smoker when I needed to sear something. I never did so. If I want to reverse sear, I just heat up the gas grill when the smoker has done its job. This way I can sear at a higher temp and can control that temp much easier.

I have found that for some types of meat, searing grate-side up works just as well and looks more attractive that searing using the flat side. Either way, it has been my experience that using GGs on the gas grill is the best way to go.

I use two sections of my RT-700 GrillGrates on my Bullseye for steaks and such. There shouldn't be any issues with what you are wanting to do. However, reverse searing on the Bullseye might not be ideal, IMHO. I would cook the steaks at 400° or above on the ridged side of the grate for sear marks. I would also toss in a chunk of mesquite wood over the perforated holes in the back when you start the grill, or after it reaches 400°. You will then have plenty of tasty smoke flavor from the wood chunk(s) instead of trying to slow smoke for a while. At least this is how I have been cooking items on my Bullseye. The wood chunk(s) produce more smoke than any pellet ever could. My avatar whole chicken was cooked this way using a pecan wood chunk. The chunks are easily purchased at big box stores.

If you just want a little extra smoke while using GGs, just sprinkle a few wood pellets in the GG channels. They quickly start to burn, producing plenty of smoke, even when used on a gas grill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back