Bull Griddle

BBQMike700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Looking for a griddle that fits the 700..What’s the best quality griddle for the Bull? Is the rec tec brand my best option?

You may not get many responses just because I don’t think they are all that popular. I bought the round recteq griddle for my Bullseye thinking that it would let me get rid of my Blackstone. Nearly 6 months later, I still have the Blackstone and I’m not sure where I put the recteq griddle. I didn’t find the griddle on a pellet grill to be a great experience. It takes forever to heat up, the pellet grill cooking surface is much lower than what is ideal for standing over it to constantly cook food, and it’s hard to maintain a consistent surface temp because the PID will ramp up the heat to compensate for the lid being open. Then you have to find a place to store it, which is why I don’t remember where mine is now. :)

Having said that, the quality of the recteq griddle is nice. There is a 3rd party griddle available (I cannot remember the name) which looks well engineered, but requires you to remove the grates and drip pan.

Thanks for the info! I was going back and forth between a blackstone or just getting a removable one for the grill. This makes perfect sense.

Like most things that are accessories there are always trade offs. @Greg Jones enumerated the problem with a grate mounted flat plate steel unit vs where the fire pot is. However, there is an alternative that deals with that arrangement very effectively. Go to the website of this company and look at their griddle hack. That funnel on the bottom goes down to the fire pot and directs nearly all the heat to the griddle bottom. Setting the controller to 350 gets the griddle surface up to 400ish in 10-15 minutes and maintains it pretty well. I'll show some hash browns in a pic below. But the trade offs are having to gut the grates, drip shield and deflector from your smoker, and the griddle size isn't huge. Some will be negative about the need to disassemble/reassemble/disassemble/reassemble from function to function, but for the person who has limited deck/patio/whatever space it could be a reasonable trade off. A dedicated griddle, if the room and budget are there, is probably a better choice, but there are other options depending on one's open mindedness.

griddle hack 01.jpg
griddle hack 03.jpg

BBQ I have been debating the same thing. I am leaning towards the Blackstone.

Also have RT's griddle. Thought it would be the cats a** but don't use it anymore with the purchase of 22" Blackstone. Would loose a Lot of heat when grill was opened to flip or whatever, which then would add more pellets and would almost get to hot on the bottom and burn things.

I have the RecTeq griddle for the 700. It was a gift from my in-laws. I like the food I have made with it but it’s quirky.to use.
I am trying to work up the courage to tell my wife I really need a Blackstone.😜
I posted my best cook with it and 2 grillgrates

Attachments

• 344285A0-A605-4888-813D-AB034F3B11D5.jpeg
    344285A0-A605-4888-813D-AB034F3B11D5.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 89
That looks awesome! Pineapple on the sear grates! good to know I’m in the same boat but thinking blackstone is the way to go

I used a little griddle for about a year or so then got a blackstone. No regrets and it's great for reverse searing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back