Grease Fire!

JerryRigged

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Howdy gang-

So Cook #2 on my new Deck Boss got exciting. Wife wanted to cook some Bacon for breakfast on the pit, and I has always been dissipointed in how long bacon took on the Treager, so I had the brite (dumb) idea to crank the pit up to 500f, and of course we used the new grill grates as a skillet. Hind-sight being 20/20 et all, it was predictible what happened next.

Supprising to me was how long it took to get the fire out. I of course unplugged the pit right away, and covered the top vents with a wet towel. (no chimey on the Deck Boss, just louvers on the back of the barrel). After another 5 minutes or so, I also plugged the grease drain trying to remove air flow. Still, it was about 30 minutes before the last if the fire right above the grease drain went out.

10 years of aging in 30 minutes -
20231105_115222.jpg

Bacon was a bit crispy-
20231105_114633.jpg

A few minutes with Barkeepers Friend, and we are good as new again...
20231105_142632.jpg

20231105_114633.jpg

20231105_115222.jpg

20231105_142632.jpg

Wow, sorry to hear about that. This grill does get hot, and fast. Other than the burn-in, I've not had mine above 375ish yet.
Did it clean up ok? Couldn't tell if the clean picture was before or after

Yeah, the clean picture is after about half an hour with Barkeepers Friend. That stuff is amazing. I used the "new and improved" liquid /soft scrub version.

The good news is you just completed your accelerated smoker life cycle and burn-in testing, and it is probably well seasoned. The better news is that you didn’t set your house on fire. I just don’t know what RT is thinking calling something a Deck Boss” which almost infers it would be safe to use on a deck :mad:. The best news is that you know the destructive powers you possess and I bet you won’t repeat this event in the future. As a final suggestion, anytime you are doing extra greasy proteins, use a shelf with a drip pan beneath it with a little water in it and you can always remove it if needed extinguish any flames. Good luck on your future cooks and move that smoker away from any structures!

Sheet pan in the recteq would have gotten oven results, with some smoke.
I do 0-400 in the oven, never tried yet on the recteq.

I cook/smoke bacon at 275 on my 590, and it gets extremely crispy and delicious!!!!
One suggestion I would make to the OP, is put the bacon on a cooling rack inside a non-perforated sheet pan and cook away. I do this at 425°’ for usually no more than 20 minutes, inside the house or on the grill, and it works perfectly for me.

Bacon in the oven is indeed the best way to do it, but I'm rarely in a hurry and love the taste and texture of bacon on the pellet grill. No collection/pooling of grease, just trickles right in the bucket from the grease pan and gives further wonderful flavoring/seasoning of my grill. :)

I cook bacon at 275 laid out flat on aluminum foil with the edges rolled up. I use thick cut bacon peppered on one side turning it once. It takes a little while to cook but it is so worth it. I cook it on my Bullseye.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back